New to chicks and they will be here this week! Advice, please!!!

truchicks

Chirping
May 15, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Hello!

I am new to chickens and will be getting my first 4 chicks sometime this week (just got my shipping confirmation this morning)
celebrate.gif
I have researched and researched until I can't research no more and I just need to give it a go. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I have gro gel, ACV, and good, plain RO water. Should I just offer them the plain water first and go from there? I have read mixed reviews of over supplementing with electrolytes and what not but didn't know if the ACV is just something I should go ahead and throw in their water?
Aghhhhh, I'm soooo excited!!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Hellow and welcome. You sound like you have been doing your homework and are off to a great start. If you have any specific questions I would type some key words in the search bar on this website and you will surely find your answers.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us and congrats on your upcoming flock.

Sounds like they are mail order? If so IMO add chick electrolytes to the water. Make sure each drinks before they eat and watch for pasty butts. And once they arrive get your coop/run plans finalized and start building. They grow so fast it is amazing.

Also sounds like you have already explore the learning center, but if not, you should explore the articles there to get ready for your newcomers.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

X2 what sunflower said. We just gave ours electrolytes when we first filled their water containers. It helps them adjust to your water, and can probably use the rest of the packets sometime in the summer. Here they are sold in packets of 3.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and advice! Im anxiously awaiting my chicks and I thought I would be getting them today but they still haven't left Ohio.
barnie.gif
I hope they are ok when they get here. I'm so worried about them!

Question...I have this Grogel plus, should i give that to them or just electrolytes when/if they get here? Does Grogel have electrolytes in it already? TIA

Back
Top Bottom