New to chicks

ChueyJose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? yes- 10 days ago

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?- 14

(3) What breeds do you have?- I believe light brown leghorn and 1 black sex link rooster

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?- friend

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?- sports, birding, reading etc

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share- social worker, have 2 horses on the farm, dogs, cats.

:)

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You have the makings of a nice flock. If you have any questions for us please ask. Have you visited our Learning Center, it is a great education in itself.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new birds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. You should get some more hens to go with that rooster (or else get rid of the rooster). The recommended ratio of hens to roosters is 10 hens for every 1 rooster as too many roosters can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I agree with Michael O'Shay, you should probably get more hens. If you keep two roosters with twelve hens, you may end up with overmated hens and feather loss.

You should get some more hens to go with that rooster (or else get rid of the rooster).
Re-looking at your introduction, I believe I may have misread it. I thought you had both a Light Brown Leghorn and a Black Sex Link rooster, but re-looking at it, I'm thinking that the Black Sex Link is your only rooster, leaving 13 hens which are Light Brown Leghorns. Am I interpreting this correctly? If so, your hen to rooster ratio (13 to 1) is fine. :eek:)

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

One rooster is perfectly fine for 14 hens. If you have any more roosters than that, though, I would get some more hens to avoid overmating/stressing problems.

Back
Top Bottom