New to Chukars. Need help!

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
So I saw an add on Craigslist for chukar eggs for $ 0.60 each! They just seemed to cheap to pass up. I have a hen that just wen't broody, can a chicken hatch chukar eggs? I know absolutely nothing about chukars but I've had pheasant's before, and I raise and hatch chickens, ducks, quail and guinea fowl but am new to chuckar.

I can use all the advice you have on chuckars. Thanks so much.
thumbsup.gif

So I saw an add on Craigslist for chukar eggs for $ 0.60 each! They just seemed to cheap to pass up. I have a hen that just wen't broody, can a chicken hatch chukar eggs? I know absolutely nothing about chukars but I've had pheasant's before, and I raise and hatch chickens, ducks, quail and guinea fowl but am new to chuckar.

I can use all the advice you have on chuckars. Thanks so much.
thumbsup.gif
Yes a hen will set on any egg.You raise them the same as pheasants.They need a gamebird crumble when they hatch.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks. So can they live alongside with pheasants or must they be kept in separate pens? Do they have to be penned up like pheasants at all? Can they just be free ranged liked chickens or will they fly away? Does wing clipping help in any way?

Thanks. So can they live alongside with pheasants or must they be kept in separate pens? Do they have to be penned up like pheasants at all? Can they just be free ranged liked chickens or will they fly away? Does wing clipping help in any way?
I don't know if I would put them in with pheasants,chikars are cannibals just like ringnecks.They need to be in a covered pen just like pheasants.If you clip there wing and try to free range them,they will not have any defense against predators,flight is their only defense.
In N.H.,Tony.

I had a few ringneck pheasants in with my chukars until I could get them sold. Thought I might have to worry about the pheasants picking on the chukars but instead it was the other way around. They got along fine to start and then all of a sudden one day the chukars beat the crap out of a couple of the pheasants. Luckily I caught on before they killed them and moved them.

Chukars are murderers as soon as there is one thing about their environment making them unhappy. I would recommend housing them with only other chukars and using a pheasant run is probably a good idea. Crowding chukars isn't just unacceptable, you cant do it because there will only be one left at the end of the day. Make sure you hatch and brood them like bobs or pheasants, because they can leave the shell ready to eat a hatch mate. Once they are grown and settled i never have any problems with them though.

A chicken will definetaly sit on those eggs. What breed is the hen? Some breeds are better mothers than others. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom