new to ducks HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by white ninja, Mar 4, 2014.

1. white ninja

white ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    got ducklings for the first time! bought straight run ducklings from a atwoods no idea there breed i got the 4 most unique 1s tho. i put them in a pen with some 5 month old pullets and theyre picking on the ducklings feet and dragging the ducklings around and wont stop should i put them in another pen? they love to play in water do i need to put a shallow water bowl with them?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The larger pullets are quite capable of killing the ducklings. I would suggest removing them until they are as large as the chickens.

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    X2. Also, if you end up with any male ducks, don't let them be with female chickens. If male ducks mate with female chickens, this may result in internal injuries to the chicken which will kill her.

4. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Good general advice, but not an absolute. I've been keeping ducks and chickens together for about a year and my drake doesn't bother the hens. He also has two female ducks to keep him busy, however. If you keep an eye on your flock you may be able keep them all together.

When your ducks get bigger just understand that they may never be best friends with the chickens. Coexistence and tolerance would best describe my flock, though your mileage may vary.

5. white ninja

white ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    thanks for info. my ducklings and pullets are getting along now every now and again a fight over the water bowl occurs haha. i have a pen on stand by if something goes wrong. anymore important information bout raising and keeping ducklings is much appreciated

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by