new to ducks looking at runners.

I purchased 17 runners for herding. Keep in mind that once they get to laying age you should only be practicing with the mallards so if you order straight run get more than you think you'll need. I ended up with about a perfect split, 10 boys and 7 girls so I have a laying flock and still have enough Mallards to work in two groups.

I thought all the ducks I saw at trials were Runners, after I purchased them I found out that at least in my area they are Runner crosses, usually with something like a Rouen, approx 3/4 Runner 1/4 something else. This is done to make a less flighty duck, without loosing the lack of flight. They can fly, they just tend not to and when they do it's not very high or long. I haven't found mine to be excessively flighty so I don't know if I'll keep them pure or go ahead and mix in something else, they can definitely be flighty but with my dog that works well, she has to practice TINY movements and not putting to much pressure on them.

This is a really interesting topic. Though I don't plan to have a herding dog, I think I'm going to follow this thread and learn more about using Runners for herding dog training.

Could you post pictures, too?

This is the first or second time I worked my Runners. I don't work them in this large of a group now, partly because I've separated out the girls, but also because both the ducks and Nexxus are still learning and when 17 of them scatter in every direction it's harder to fix it. They have a strong flocking instinct but are happy breaking up into groups of 3-6 then regrouping later. Working them in groups of 4-5 they are more inclined to stay together.

Haha, your dog looks tired. I bet s/he had fun, though! :)

I can't teach my dog to herd. He's a hunting dog, and our training focused specifically on teaching him how to IGNORE the ducks, lol. I would be too worried that his hunting instincts would kick in and he'd grab a bird.

BUT, on the other hand, he has walked right into the flock, had them scattering, and he just continued on walking without a care in the world.

We have four runners with a strong flock instinct. We also have an aged Cattledog and Border Collie/Cattledog mix who have zero herding training. The runners tolerate the dogs fairly well, sometimes even chasing after them and acting like they're going to bite them, but only when the dogs aren't looking.
wink.png

Overall, I think the runner/dog combo is a good one. The only thing I have to watch out for is if the ducks get super excited and start moving really fast - that sometimes riles up the dogs who want to play chase. Luckily, they're too old/blind/deaf to do this too often, and are easily stopped.

Back
Top Bottom