New to ducks, need fast info on care

Pati527

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
We recently acquired 4 various breeds of ducks. Right now they are in the coop with the chickens for the winter. Since we live in Upstate NY, no not Albany, on the Canadian border, we give them supplemental heat on the cold days. Feeding them layer crumble, meal worms, black oil sunflower seeds and salad. Are there any special requirements for a ducks diet? Can they be housed with the chickens for the cold months? Water is provided in heated bowls, which they tend to make a mess of, any ideas to keep the coop dry, or at least reasonably dry? We are 'seasoned' chicken owners but new to this duck thing. A friend lost their farm so we took the birds and would like to give them a good life. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC! You've asked a big question with LOTS of information needed. I only keep chickens but I have found an article that will probably help out quite a bit.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-keep-different-poultry-types-living-together-in-one-coop

In case you don't get more answers I would spend some time in the learning center reading about ducks. The learning center has helped many of us with our questions. Simply type a question into the search bar and you will have lots of good reading for a while!

Good luck with your new ducks! And again...
welcome-byc.gif

ducks are dirty and need their water to be cleaned every two days depending on the size. I have a big kitty pool, four ducks and it needs to be cleaned a washed every two days. Good luck!

I keep the ducks and chickens housed separately. They make such a mess with water and the chickens need it dry! Are your ducks young? Do they need heat? I live in Northern Minnesota and do not heat the coop or duck house. I go out and refresh water as needed if we are in an major cold spell (like right now). Other wise the ducks free range the day eat and drink and roam if they so choose (not as much on these really cold days) but then they get locked up at night with hay for bedding.

The ducks are full grown. Probably a year old. We turn heat lamps on at night if temps drop below 20. It can get very cold here -20 is not uncommon

The ducks are full grown. Probably a year old. We turn heat lamps on at night if temps drop below 20. It can get very cold here -20 is not uncommon
I have had -25 for 3 night in a row and I do not heat. Heat lamps can be very dangerous if they happen to fall.

Heating the coop is up to you. But I would not house the ducks and chickens together. The ducks make a mess with the water creating a bad scenario for moisture buildup in the coop that can be detrimental to the chickens.
Up to you, just my 2 cents. I have geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys. I house the water fowl and chickens separate.

Oh I wanted to say in the winter I use the rubber dishes that if the water gets frozen in you can just flip it over and stomp on it and the ice comes out and the bowl doesn't break. Really love those in the winter.

I am trying to find a picture of a heater that someone here in MN uses that is not a heat lamp. I can't remember what it is called but she describes it as a flat panel that doesn't use much electricity and it takes the edge off the really cold nights.

Oh I wanted to say in the winter I use the rubber dishes that if the water gets frozen in you can just flip it over and stomp on it and the ice comes out and the bowl doesn't break. Really love those in the winter.

I am trying to find a picture of a heater that someone here in MN uses that is not a heat lamp. I can't remember what it is called but she describes it as a flat panel that doesn't use much electricity and it takes the edge off the really cold nights.
[Sweeter Heater ]My Pet Chicken sells them. I have one. Haven't used it yet since our lowest so far has only been 11*

Back
Top Bottom