New to Ducks - should I get khaki Campbell's or Indian Runners

mamdoe

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Hi there,

I have kept chickens for 4 years now and have decided to try ducks. I plan to get 3 ducklings. Our local farm supply have Indian Runners and Khaki Campbell. Any opinions on witch would be best for first time duck mama?
Thanks!

I think either would be good. I have runners, and love them. I have known people with KCs and they love them. Both are said to be good layers and foragers.

Thanks!
I'm hoping for these ducks to be good layers and calm pets. I have 3 kids that are begging for ducklings! I love the looks of runners, but hear they can be skid dish (aren't all birds)!

I'm also somewhat confused about letting ducks free range..sounds like osteopenia do not have runs for their ducks?
so any advice on how you keep your ducks would be much appreciated!

KC can be skittish. Our female will run & she is fast! When I catch her, she loves to cuddle though. Pekin are sweet, but my Magpie is the most affectionate. Both KC & Magpie are suppose to be great egg layers. Some say Magpie are better egg layers w/ bigger eggs, but I'm not sure. Mine are only 5 wks old.

Thanks!
I'm hoping for these ducks to be good layers and calm pets. I have 3 kids that are begging for ducklings! I love the looks of runners, but hear they can be skid dish (aren't all birds)!

I'm also somewhat confused about letting ducks free range..sounds like osteopenia do not have runs for their ducks?
so any advice on how you keep your ducks would be much appreciated!
Mine are still in a 45 gallon tub in my room :). I will be buying them a pen & coop soon though. Safety is extremely important since they have a lot of predators :(.

Hi there,

I have kept chickens for 4 years now and have decided to try ducks. I plan to get 3 ducklings. Our local farm supply have Indian Runners and Khaki Campbell. Any opinions on witch would be best for first time duck mama?
Thanks!

For almost a year, I had dreamed about getting Khaki Campbells once I had the whole set up in place. Then BAM! some Runner ducklings dropped into my lap (friends accidentally let their pairs' eggs go too long)... and I couldn't be more pleased! My Runners are 6 weeks old and are so delightful! I'm sure it has a lot to do with the way they were raised and their own individual personalities, rather than just their breed. They are very affectionate. One down side (and maybe all ducks are this way) but they seem to want to eat EVERYTHING, so I have to take a few extra measures to make sure there is nothing that can harm them around their living area (i.e. trash, mushrooms, etc.).

I don't know much about Khaki Campbells except that they are supposed to be great layers, and so are runners. Let us know what you decide! Maybe a mix is the perfect solution
wink.png

I think ducks are born nibblers and foragers - they eat all kinds of things. There is a philosophy that they know what is good for them, but based on reports of ducks eating earrings, nails, coins, string . . . . there are definite exceptions.
ep.gif

I think ducks are born nibblers and foragers - they eat all kinds of things. There is a philosophy that they know what is good for them, but based on reports of ducks eating earrings, nails, coins, string . . . . there are definite exceptions.
ep.gif

Haha, I like that philosophy! I will let it bring me some peace of mind.

:D
Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely leaning toward Indian Runners, mostly because I like the way they look but a friendly bird is also important.

A question about the brooders..I hear a lot of people talking about keeping them in their home for up to 4 weeks. I know ducks are said to be messy, but I found the amount of dust that my chicks put out to be unbearable in the house. Since I'd like the duckling to be more of a pet I'd like to keep them in the house longer...but do they put out as much dust as chicks do? Or is it mostly a wet mess?

I'm hoping to get them either today or tomorrow, so I'll keep you all posted on what we choose! So excited:weee

Back
Top Bottom