new to ducks - tell me everything I need to know!!!!

Quote:
PM'ed you
smile.png

Quote:
you said whole corn - is that scratch or a deer corn? thanks for the info

I get it at the same feed mill that also makes me the custom mix - just whole feed corn. I get a 1/2 ton of the custom mix, and 500lbs of whole corn - though we plan on buying another 500lbs so we can feed 50% corn, 50% custom diet. We had to buy the bags, which are a one time purchase because they are reusable. Our bags are .50 each. Our total for the mix (just grain, not including the bags because we already had them) this last time we bought it (just a week ago now) was 185.00, including a 10.00 fee that they charge to grind and mix the feed. So, it is 9.25 per 'bag' or so of the custom mix. Since we feed 50% corn as well in winter, we essentially got 1500lbs of feed for 8.17 per 50lbs. (245.00). This diet is fairly high in corn, I admit, but it has worked well for us this year - time will tell how it works in future years. Money is tight this year so we had to look for a way to cut back on costs. Corn is not a complete feed so for growing, breeding, and otherwise active animals will need better nutrition. I do not force any of my birds to breed/lay through the winter so they are put on a more economical diet that simply helps them stay warm and a good weight through the winter.

As I said, the extra corn will be phased out of the diet as breeding season starts - we'll probably get one more order like this, then switch back to JUST the custom mix.

CUTE pictures people!!! My Rory is a call duck mutt. I have four ducks, three little girls all sisters, one white, one black and white and one grey and white. And about a month ago we got a little boy from a guy who wants their ducklings. He is grey and white with a dark head and little white eyebrows. They are super super friendly, always nagging for treats and attention.

You want pictures of my flock or you want me to hold off lo?l!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yaaaaaaayyy Okay here we go!

More Rory snuggles:

41074_p1310457.jpg

Mr Snoogles showin off her beak:

41074_p1320517.jpg

Doog hamming it up for the camera (like usual):

41074_p1310619.jpg

The three of them sleepin in the summer:

41074_p1320386.jpg

The new boy Larry:

41074_p1340318.jpg

And a last one of Rory after she dug up half the garden heheheheh!

41074_p1310836.jpg

The front magpie Call is Maggie; she is from sundownwaterfowl (I bought eggs on BYC and hatched them here at home). The rest are from eFowl. I am looking to re-home the Greys and I think the Buff. I have a VERY small yard and having 7 calls in such a small area is very NOISY. I want to keep the 2 magpie's and the black for breeding purposes and 'cuz my kids like them.

If you decide to order from eFowl, place your order NOW but have your shipping date set for when it is warmer (they come from MN) and maybe you will get the ducks within 3 weeks of your order date.

My poor postmaster was pretty cute about me insisting he verify they were all alive on arrival!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
your ducks are sooooo precious - i found me some eggs for the spring
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
no if I can wait without pulling my hair out
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
- again thanks for sharing...

Rory - takes the cake - awwwwww so precious!

Quote:
can you give me the run down on hatching the calls - what steps did you take - did you mist the eggs daily? give then 5 minutes to cool off each day

thanks for any help
jennifer

Back
Top Bottom