New to Ducks...what should I know?

We just got two ducks from the local TSC and im pretty sure they are mallards. I read on of the posts that they will fly away. is there any way i can keep them from doing that?

Quote:
It's not recommended they live in the hen house... duck houses are simple four wall construction, though. Yes, they lay like chickens... some breeds better than others. You can eat the eggs but some people don't like the taste and other prefer it. They lay on nests they make themselves on the ground... you give a female duck some straw, she'll make her own nest.

The breed depends on you. Campbells are the best layers... but you may not like their personalities. Pekins are meant for meat but are alot more calm. Mallards are pretty but will fly away because they are wild. Rouen looks like a mallard but is bigger and doesn't fly away. Muscoveys are ugly to some people but are very friendly and they will even roost in trees at night - they also will eat mice.

That's just the tip of the iceburg... then there are bantam ducks... which would require less space but preditors could get them even more easily.

There are runners who stand upright and run all over. There are all sorts... just depends on you, really.
wink.png

ETA: forgot to mention... sometimes (and this depends on the individual duck) ducks can and will bite chickens and/or other things in your yard. I have one crested that bites all the chickens except one that he will share food with. He tucks his head down and charges them and pulls out whatever feathers he can grab... so not all ducks will get along with chickens... and I'm sure there are some chickens who won't get along with ducks.

Mainly it's not recommended because of their way of life... if you see the mess a duck will make overnight while kept up... you'd understand. It's just better to make a duck only home. You'll thank me in the end for that.
wink.png

I am getting Ducks for the first time and i know i am getting male and female pekins but do you think magpies are a good beginers choice?

I have Muscovies and they are great!!!
Watch out for the poo it is SLIPPERY!!
th.gif

they are friendly and comical
everyone has said about they need constant supply of water to drink, make sure it is in a deep enough dish that they can dunk their heads as they have to clean their eyes and nose or they will have problems
yes you can eat the eggs, or should i say egg, because it is like eating 2 chicken eggs.
good luck and have fun with them, we enjoy ours immensly...
P.S. one of my hens just started sitting on 5 eggs.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom