New to Ducks

youngchooklover

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 10, 2013
yo momma
Hi last night I made a 2 feet long and 2 feet wide pond for Ducks. I have never had Ducks before. I live in South Australia and it's dry and rocky here. So what is a breed of Duck that doesn't mind hot weather and dryness?. I have so many questions like: I want 3 Ducks 1 drake and 2 girls. Will the drake molest my hens? What is a good breed of duck for mothering?

hu.gif

Hi, not sure about Australia... But I will tell you that a good mamma duck really depends on the individual duck. For example, here at my place, all 3 of my Pekins are sitting now. The oldest Pekin, she is so determined to be a mom. She is the best broody I have. But if you google info on Pekin broodyness, you will read that Pekins typically make poor moms. Sorry, I know this isn't much help but you need to know that ymmv with regard to broodyness and mothering.

Make sure you provide the ducks with plenty of fresh, clean water and shade.
It depends on the drake. I had 1 drake and 2 females. They did great, but some drakes can be more aggressive. My guess is, it'll probably be fine.

Last edited:
Poison them. Place the poison where ducks cannot reach it and do not let any food lie around what might attract more of the rodents.
Rats might carry desease that affect your livestock and will eat the eggs and kill offspring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom