New to eggs question - should they see you take them or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by California Girls, Jan 23, 2010.

1. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    My baby girls just started laying this week!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My question is... do you let them see you "take" the egg out of the nest, or do it when they aren't looking?

Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    They really don`t care if you take their eggs,unless they are broody and believe me you will know the difference

3. ~whitetailcountry~

~whitetailcountry~ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Pine Ridge
    I just always take em..but if by chance I am out there while one is in the process of laying one..I always let her check it out and admire her hardwork before I take it..LOL..I am a lil sensitive like that. She went through all that hard work, so why shouldnt she get to. (LOL AT MYSELF!)

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't disturb my hens while they are on the nest, if at all possible. So if a hen is sitting on several eggs, I wait to collect until she's finished.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    my girls don't seem to mind, and yes i do praise them for that beautiful egg!!

6. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband sneaks them but when I told everyone on BYC about it, it seems like most people just take them.

We always leave them alone on the nest too though, but sometimes I've taken out an already laid egg from under a bird when I see there are several in one box, I just do it slow and easy and not scare them.

7. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    okay, okay, those are great replies. I was waiting until they were up and announcing to the neighborhood they just laid one. Then, bring them a treat, and take it while they were occupied with the food. It seemed kind-a sneaky, so I just wanted to hear what "the experts" do. Thanks!
    Loving the omelets! We are so spoiled.
    I like the reply to thank the lady who laid it, good idea, I will do just that.
    Peace to all the chicken lovers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by