New to everything, already need help

Had to do this for my recent batch. It does become easier once you have an established flock - they tend to learn from the big ones.

One note on your coop is that it have a very "open" feel to it. Great for when they are big, but perhaps a bit too open for when they are little. Maybe add a cardboard box to hide under for the time being - this will give them a confined space to hide in and they may find the coop a bit more enjoyable. This is coming from my little ones often piling up in the nest boxes which doesn't look doable here with them being raised. Then of course, age will happen and they will eventually move to the roost bars.
Makes a lot of sense, I'll go find a box...

welcome to the flock As you said you may have wanted to keep them in the coop for 3-4 days so they got used to the coop but you may have some luck using a light in the coop to get them back in i've had several new flocks over the years and they all seem to be different.Meaning different ways of doing things my first flock ever I did the light trick and all went in as soon as it was dark. Then I added 4 new and the light didn't work at all nor would they follow the older girls so for a week I had to chase and put in coop every night after about a week they did it on their own. The flock added after that just did what the big girls did no issues. Now I have a flock of 5/ 8 weeks old in big coop now but once one went in the others just followed monkey see monkey do. I also have 6 silkies 5 weeks and 2 buffs 3 weeks in smaller coop that won't go up the ramp to save their life I to have experienced the heat so I had no choice but to give them there water but normally I keep it in the coop so they need to find a way to get it. So right now with my younger flock im wrangling chickens every night back into the coop but I know eventually they will get it. hang in there and welcome to chicken parenting 101.

Welcome to BYC.
They are probably a little intimidated by the ramp and the coop. However, you need to put them in and close their door at night, because that chicken wire will not protect them from predators. I'd upgrade to hardware cloth and roof the entire run, because as it gets warmer, they'll need to spend more time in the run.

Back
Top Bottom