New to everything

Phaefner

Chirping
Oct 19, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am 40 years old and just got my 1st batch of chickens August 24th.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Oh boy...for being new I have quite a few. It’s like an addiction! Right now I have 16.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Because I was new to this I bought an assortment. 2 - Rainbows, 2- Rhode Island, 2 - Buffs, 2 Production Reds, 2- Americana, 2 Red Lace Blue Wyodonates, 1 Black Sexlink, 1 Isa Brown, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silvers Wyodonate. ‍♀️ To be honest I had 36 but 20 of them were Cornish crosses and are now in my freezer. I butchered them all. Guess if I’m going to do this might as well go all out.

Out of 36 baby chicks, ALL of them survived me and my inexperience!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Came across this a few weeks ago. I had a chick with a swollen eye and inflamed ear (?). VetRx did the trick!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Oh, I’m suppose to have other hobbies? I kind of forgot about them I sew, do some woodworking, gardening (which is also new to me), fishing.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids (13 and 23) and 3 dogs. My husband is a truck driver that keeps him away during the week. We just recently moved to our new area so I feel like I have a brand new life that I am absolutely LOVING!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Like I said early, I was googling chicken problems and General chicken care and came across this (numerous times). Just decided it was time for me to just join. I think this is the perfect place to come when I need some potential problems answered.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Good on ya for butchering your broilers - that can be a bit of a challenge when its an unexpected thing.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

upload_2017-5-23_20-15-7.gif

Glad you're here with us!
Check out our learning center for great information https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/

smiley welcome 3.gif
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am 40 years old and just got my 1st batch of chickens August 24th.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Oh boy...for being new I have quite a few. It’s like an addiction! Right now I have 16.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Because I was new to this I bought an assortment. 2 - Rainbows, 2- Rhode Island, 2 - Buffs, 2 Production Reds, 2- Americana, 2 Red Lace Blue Wyodonates, 1 Black Sexlink, 1 Isa Brown, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silvers Wyodonate. ‍♀️ To be honest I had 36 but 20 of them were Cornish crosses and are now in my freezer. I butchered them all. Guess if I’m going to do this might as well go all out.

Out of 36 baby chicks, ALL of them survived me and my inexperience!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Came across this a few weeks ago. I had a chick with a swollen eye and inflamed ear (?). VetRx did the trick!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Oh, I’m suppose to have other hobbies? I kind of forgot about them I sew, do some woodworking, gardening (which is also new to me), fishing.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids (13 and 23) and 3 dogs. My husband is a truck driver that keeps him away during the week. We just recently moved to our new area so I feel like I have a brand new life that I am absolutely LOVING!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Like I said early, I was googling chicken problems and General chicken care and came across this (numerous times). Just decided it was time for me to just join. I think this is the perfect place to come when I need some potential problems answered.
CHICK-BRAIN-WEL-FARMER-CONN.gif

hhal2018.gif

Back
Top Bottom