New to farm life and LOVING it!

CoulterMiniFarm

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Crockett, VA
Short intro: About a year ago, we moved to the Wytheville, VA area for work. We ended up buying a stunning little farm house wedged between two cattle farms and nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians just outside the tiny town of Rural Retreat, VA. The views. are. incredible!!!

We found out after we bought the house that there was an old run down chicken coop attached to the back side of our shed. So, being lovers of all things farm fresh (especially eggs), we decided to try our hand at raising some chickens!

We renovated the coop, built a 10'x60' pen, and rounded up three golden red comet hens, three white leghorn hens (we think that's what they are), one ameraucana/barred rock mix hen, a red sex link roo (named Kung Pao), and another roo that is absolutely stunning, but we have no idea what he is. He has a mohawk thing going on, so we fittingly named him Moe. We've raised all of them from chicks and they are now 5-6 months old. We're just starting to get some eggs, so this is a very fun time at the Coulter Mini Farm!

For people raised in the city, the transition to a more rural life has been wonderful and peaceful for my wife and I and our daughter. On our little 1/2 acre plot of heaven, we have a garden, chickens, a rabbit, a "barn" cat, and three dogs - all somehow living in harmony together. It's a surprising amount of work for being so small, but a ton of fun!

Well, that's us in a nutshell. I look forward to learning and growing, and maybe even expanding our little "farm" in both land and occupants. Until then, we're having an absolute blast with what we have been blessed with.

James

What a beautiful setting - awesome views! Not sure what your rooster is with crest and feathered feet - maybe a mix. I'm not the best guesser. Welcome to the BYC flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
Glad you joined! Your flock is just gorgeous!!
ep.gif

Welcome to BYC!

We drive through Rural Retreat on the way to our property in Ashe county NC just south of you. It is beautiful country and the people are really nice.
Thanks LlChickens! We love the area as well, and you couldn't be more right about the people. This is a great part of the country to live in.

Congrats on your new found farm life! Are those mountains in the background? So beautiful. Your story made me smile, you sound really happy.
Thank you, guineaczech! Yes, they are mountains draped with clouds. I took that early one morning as I went out to check on the chickens - it was one of the prettiest scenes I have ever viewed. I wish I'd had a better camera to capture it fully.

What a beautiful setting - awesome views! Not sure what your rooster is with crest and feathered feet - maybe a mix. I'm not the best guesser. Welcome to the BYC flock.
Thank you, drumstick diva! I'm thinking he's a mix too, but I am so new to the chicken world that I am just a hair smarter than "clueless."

Back
Top Bottom