New to forum and chickens! Lots of questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SharonJean, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SharonJean

SharonJean New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    Hello there:)
    I live in Pensacola, FL and have recently been taking care of my mother in laws chickens while she moves and I became obsessed with them! I love them so much and as soon as she gets done moving shes taking them and leaving the coop at my house so I can start my own flock. I'd love some tips and advice if any of yall are interested. I'm not sure on what breeds to get for our climate. Its pretty darn hot in the summer (sometimes upwards of 100 degrees) and somewhat cold in the winter (sometimes dipping into the teens at night) I would also like more friendlier chickens, are there breeds that are nicer than others? Also is there a time of year that is better for starting with chicks? Where would you suggest purchasing them? My mother in law got hers at Barnes feed store. Also I just want hens no roosters, so how do I go about making sure I get hens?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to know as much as possible before I start:)

Thanks for any help!
    -Sharon

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You have come to the right place for your answers. Surf through the Forum and you will find sections dedicated to the different concerns you have.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]from California!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SharonJean, and [​IMG]! So happy you joined us and are getting into chickens! It is so exciting!! You will get tons of really great advice on BYC. Best of luck to you!!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You must have a look at the Reviews section (link top of the page) to see what the different members said about their breeds. It'll give you a good idea of which breed will meet your criteria. There are definitely friendlier and unfriendlier breeds! I heard Orpingtons are sweet, but have a look around first, before you decide. You can buy chicks any time, but it will be easier if you get them in warmer months. In winter you'll have to raise them under a heat lamp. I personally prefer raising chicks in summer. Where you buy them is up to you, how much you want to spend, are you willing to get them shipped, what breeds you pick... Have a look here: Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries and in the Buy~Sell~Trade section (bottom of the contents page) for members selling chicks.
    Enjoy your chicken adventures and keep us posted!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. :goodpost:

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

8. ChickNhood

ChickNhood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Decatur IL
    You should look into Brahmas... The are both heat and cold tolerant... Cute little feathered footed bords...very sweet very docile!

9. Casey207908

Casey207908 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Hello from NH. I have had GREAT success with mypetchicken.com they sell a wide variety of chickens, guarantee females or males whichever you prefer and if you ever have any questions they are great at answering them. Very friendly and all love chickens, great place to get chickens and/or fertile eggs.
    Personal favorites are silkies, buff orpington, and rhode island red. We have kids and those breeds have been great with the kids. You could call them at mypetchicken.com and they will tell you what breeds are best based on temperature, friendly, free range, egg production, broody etc. Good luck, its addicting!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've never had chickens so I don't have advice for you but [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by