new to forum and ducks

yes, i am kind of doing a lot of watching and letting them teach me....but then i come on the computer to double check hehe
i have learned a lot already! i try to just let them to it, and watch from a distance, tho when i just sit or stay still and quiet they dont seem to mind me and will sit down for a snooze.
how long would it take approx for them to setting into a new (better) home?? they had a small dirt run with about 15 other ducks and chickens and a pot of water, have since found out that he put the food out in a big circle on the floor once a day and the 15-20 birds had to race for food...then nothing else to do all day until bed.... no wonder they like going to bed now, they get some corn and barley in bed in my house!
he told me aylsbury, i reckoned pekin so i call them the white ducks ha! is there a way to tell a differnece betweek a pure pekin and a pekin/aylsbury cross? having never seen any before i have no idea! they seem in good order though..
the second runner is sonya...what is penciled???????
sad.png

Google pencilled runner and you will see the darker mask and fawnish feathers. I am just guessing.

As long as you 'force' them into a new home and routine, all is well. Given a choice, they will choose the old ways.

My canundrum was because mine free-range, then I built them a house for night time. They want to sleep inside the fenced yard because this is familiar. I have had a tough time getting them into their night house outside the fenced yard. I still sometimes have to corner and carry.

I have Pekins and Fawn and White Runners in my group. Also - flying mallards (and dark runners).

The young Pekins are in the foreground - Runners behind.

88997_cropbbsnpink.jpg

Older Pekin boys:

88997_croppekinpooltime.jpg

Sounds like your having a good time with them and that matters most. if he had alot of ducks do you think he would know how old they are were? maybe your runners are younger than 14months. just a guess. your Pekin could be younger than your runners and that is why the drake isn't taking his rightful place yet
idunno.gif

this is my white duck!
110085_puddle.jpg

all the pictures i look at of pekins they seem to appear smaller than mine, mine seem to stand this tall most of the time, but maybe its just how the pics are taken...I'll probably not know for sure.....

Quote:
ya maybe so, he only had a few of each type, he had 3 runners, 2 white ones, incl my ones! he has 1 2 or 3 of various breeds but apparently in another area he has over 100 hens of all different breeds, he hatched th ducks and said they were all bewteen 14 and16 months, or there abouts, he said not older than 16 months but then he said they were over a year....odd country farmer man with little interest in conversation and lots of interest in reducing his duck numbers! so i dont know what to believe! I have a past habit of not bothering to go back for more info unless theres a health problem, i have ended up with sooo many useless ponies!! these knida guys who just want rid of them are never gonna be trust worthy in my experience so i just take what comes and deal with it!
I dont even have a numer for him, a neighbour took me there as she gets all her hens from him and has never had a problem...except for a funky looking cock she hadnt ordered hehe

Quote:
oh, yes, of course there will be differences, i forgot about that!! theres no duck forums over here, well, there is one, but its not very intersting, i like this one!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom