New to Forum from SC.

wasatusay

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
South Carolina
Hello from South Carolina. This is a more than a mouth full.
My yard has 20 hens and 3 roosters, Hazel (Cochin, Silky mix), Maryanne( Silky, BB White mix), Sadie (Cochin) ( “the old girls” between them they are 8-11 years old now), Opal Lu Lu , Pearl, Madeline, Victoria, Blanche, Sophie, Maude, Nells, Reba and Mini-moo (the off spring of the Old Girls and Big Daddy Cletis (RR Red, Barred Rock, White Rock and Buffed Orpington mix).
Leon (yes a hen) a friend gave her to me as a week old chick that the school sent home with one of their kids from a school project where the kids get to see the hatching of chicks. I think she may be the one who has finally left me a bluish, greenish small egg and may have Easter Egg in her or all Easter Egg.. I just don’t know.
Sassafras, hubby calls her Scoop (an off spring of my hen Maryanne and a big white Rooster (Wilbert, better known as Jerry Lee) that rooster I gave my mailman for his hens and later one of my other roosters Clyde, another friend took the third rooster Bubba (all these roosters were off spring of the old girls and Big Daddy Cletis) and all different in looks, coloring and attitude than any of the parents.
Then there is Gurtie, Nigel and Regis (Old English BB Red Bantams) I bought from a man who raised many different breeds of Bantams. Wish I could get more now but I understand that he has moved away. He had one he called a Porcelain that I would liked to of had some of. Still looking.
Dot-Dot and Honey ( Light Brahmas) Sootie (Black Jersey Giant) that I got this past year as day old hatchlings along with about 40 others that I raised for 3-4 months for a friend. They are two wonderful, gentle and Huge hens and still growing!
Phoebe (Blue Sumatura) Beautiful but took almost a year for her to get trusting. I got her when she was almost full grown.
Then there are the Peking Ducks, Bab-Boose (lame since hatching) and Miss Quacker, Three of their female off spring that are not named, One male (eunuch) when he was younger he broke his PP and it had to be removed (that is another story) but information about this kind of injury and treatment I found on the Cornell University site. It saved this ducks life since the vets here had not heard of what to do for a broke PP and everyone that I talked to said I had to put him down. I am not one to give up that easy when it comes to the welfare of my animals. It was fast and seemingly painless and seemed to be an instant recovery for him…not me. Also 6 other un-named males that are off spring of my two females. The daddy male Peking Double Trouble was snatched up by a bobcat inside my yard this past summer. So now everyone gets locked in at night. Once the ducks are use to the routine it is no problem, but bright and early they are ready to be let out. The male and female ducks I keep in separate yards during the day for obvious reasons.
Also in the mix are two 3 year old black Cocker Spaniel brothers who grew up with the chickens and ducks and smell like chickens and ducks on most days except bath day!
Everyone free ranges in the yards during the day and will mob you if they think you have a treat or are going to turn the mulch pile and turn up some grubs or worms.

Tell me there wont be a test on all those facts in your post, LOL.
lol.png
Welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
I'l ltry to remember whos who but I work better with pics lol. What a group. All I can say is WOW with that PP problem. I hope I can do somethin like that if it ever needed to be done.

Hi!
I am a South Carolina native too. Orangeburg, SC, to be exact. I need help finding chicks in the area so I can have some eggs in spring/ early summer. Let me know if you can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

~Elizabeth

To Speckledhen,
No test! I just like to test my memory sometimes, and it’s not always easy. HA.
lol.png

To Chiknwhisperer,
I did not do the snip myself, I don’t have the stomach for that. I copied the instructions and carried them to the vets. A pair of sharp scissors, stop bleed powder and antibiotic powder, 20 bucks and it was done in a few seconds. The duck never even flinched. Got him home and he acted like nothing ever happened. Still makes me cringed, I had to turn my head away.

To SCchick167,
I am in the Paxville Manning area. Finding someone who wants to give up their hens is not easy. If you buy chicks you don’t know what you are getting a lot of the time. Buying grown chickens can be risky unless you know the breeder and what conditions the chickens are raised in. You have to be willing and have the room to quarantine them so you do not risk spreading disease, lice or mites to your existing chickens.
My friend and I ordered the Light Brahmas, Black Jersey Giants and some Buff Oprhingtons from Cackle Hatchery. I was a total wreck waiting for them to get here. They hatched on Sunday and shipped, arrived on Tuesday. I called a head to the Post Office the day I ordered them and the day before they arrived to remind them they were coming. Then I was at the Post Office that morning before they opened and called them on my cell in the parking lot. I opened the box at the PO (praying for no dead chicks) one was dead but the rest were fine. The lady at the PO wrote a note to the effect that one was deceased on arrival on the shipping invoice (so I could get a credit from Cackle). Got them home in my toasty warm green house, spent about an hour or two making sure they all got their beaks dipped in the water until I was confident they were all drinking on their own. I also added a few drops of bird vitamins in the water to help them recover from any stress. Started them out on starter grow and boiled egg yolks for the first two days.
My friend wants more next spring but I am not looking forward to the stress of having live animals shipped. My Post Office in Manning was wonderful about handling them and understanding and reassuring me about all my concerns. But on the other hand I am already looking at breeds and contemplating where new fencing should be put up to make new free range areas. Ordering specific sexes gives you a 98% chance that you will not end up with too many roosters. I just loved spending hour’s everyday and the months with all those baby chickens, the hard part was sending them to their real home when they were big enough. My friend does not have the environment to raise them when they are babies. My green house is temperature controlled and free of all my plants in the spring and summer, I also have the area around it fenced off from the big chickens and installed over head netting for extra protection.

Quote:
Hey, neighbor!! I'm in W. Cola/Lexington.
I'm hatching my own chicks right now, so that I'll have more for the spring. I have about 20 right now that are laying.

When we started on this venture back in April, we ordered our chicks from Ideal Hatchery, shipped at a day old. I've also ordered another shipment from them back in August. Had pretty good luck, if you want to try that. It may be easier right now to buy them from a hatchery, just to get started.

And, welcome wasatusay. Glad to see fellow SC'ians on here!!

Hey! South Carolina People. Pay attention. Poultry Show Saturday December 6 at the Orangeburg County Fairgrounds. sc-chick617 I always have birds available. No unsatisified customers.

Back
Top Bottom