New to forum, not new to chickens....

bellcole

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
Hi, my name is Peggy and I live in southeastern Pennsylvania.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I'm 5 years into my second stint of chickens. The first was over 20 years ago when my daughter brought home chicks from her second grade classroom. They grew to 4-5 hens plus a rooster (breeds unknown/forgotten.) Our set up was classic rural trash - a doghouse on stilts with a ramp. Then after the kids left, I decided to raise them again, but this time in a real coop and pen.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 4 older hens (only 1 still laying) and 1 older rooster; this year I bought 6 chicks in March to add to the flock.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Older group is: 2 Australorps (hen and rooster); 1 Rhode Island Red; 1 barred rock; 1 mixed breed -Australorp/easter egger.

New group is: 2 barred rock; 2 Rhode Island Red; 2 Ameraucana/easter egger

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Watching them. Eating their eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, sewing, biking, hiking, traveling, eating, reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Married (both retired); two adult children, both in Colorado; live on a small farm. We have 2 horses, 2 dogs, 6 cats and the chickens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've been using the site and forums for the past few years whenever I have a question. I was usually able to find what I needed without having to post a question, but now I find that I would like to be a member so that I can join in the conversations.

Attachments

• 20210723_152326.jpg
    20210723_152326.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210723_152203.jpg
    20210723_152203.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210723_152726.jpg
    20210723_152726.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 5
You have some lovely chickens! I like that you keep the girls around, even after they stop laying. As a fellow retiree, I'm glad no one decided to knock me off when I stopped doing work! Well, work for someone else; there's plenty to do here.

Welcome to the community, Peggy! It really is so much more fun when you can participate. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Back
Top Bottom