New to forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sjpaskiewicz, Jun 23, 2016.

1. sjpaskiewicz

sjpaskiewicz New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Cave Creek AZ
    Hi folks my name is Steve and I'm new to the forum. I live north of Scottsdale and have 9 chickens. Anyone out there in my area? So far my girls are surviving the heat! Poor guys I worry about them daily. I water their run and yard down at least 3 times daily. I've also containers of water in front of fans so they can stand in them to cool down. I also put their snacks in the freezer so they're real cold. Cheers.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Steve, welcome to BYC. Good job of protecting your flock from the excessive heat.

1 person likes this.
  3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Steve; Glad you have joined BYC. I find the site to be a great resource. Thanks for the great tips on keeping the flock cool. This is my first flock and I haven't given much consideration to excess heat. Freezing temperatures have been my biggest weather concern so far. Thx.

4. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Steve, :welcome hope you enjoy your stay! Cya around :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Steve and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and its good to hear that you are keeping your flock cool and happy!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They need shade, shade and more shade, real or manufactured. Also put out shallow pans of water for them to stand n. Cool feet = cool bird

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by