New to Group and Looking for Vet to Decrow

He is probably so busy he isn't on email much!
I didn't know there was a de-crowing collar.
Always learning something new on this site.

I've heard of and seen first hand, mixed results of the collar. there are reports of roosters having trouble getting food down, issues with their crop and there seems to be a need to keep tightening it over time. while a surgical procedure is more invasive, it's a one time thing and seems to have a permanent effect with little long term stress on the animal, which is why I am somewhat optimistic about it.

An update that may be of help to others in the area; there is a clinic that offers decrowing services in the Portland Metro Area by the name of Avian Medical Center in Lake Oswego, OR. I have an evaluation appointment with them first week of August, which will run us $71. From there, it will be decided if our roo is a good candidate for surgery. If he is, I will post the experience, cost, and outcome here in hopes it may be of use to others looking for this kind of help in our area. Thank you!

An update that may be of help to others in the area; there is a clinic that offers decrowing services in the Portland Metro Area by the name of Avian Medical Center in Lake Oswego, OR. I have an evaluation appointment with them first week of August, which will run us $71. From there, it will be decided if our roo is a good candidate for surgery. If he is, I will post the experience, cost, and outcome here in hopes it may be of use to others looking for this kind of help in our area. Thank you!

let us know also if they sell roosters already decrowed!

Here is an update on our visit with the Avian Medical Center in Lake Oswego, OR (near Portland); there really isn't a procedure that is effective to de-crow a rooster. Attempts have been made to surgically sever the vocal cords just enough to affect the crowing but it's about a 50/50 chance that is works if the rooster survives the procedure. Removing the roosters testicles have been done to perhaps reduce his need to crow but it is incredibly invasive and takes breaking 3 ribs to get to his testicles. Of course, we had our roo examined by the vet and found that he has an infection probably due to a compromised immune system from all the stress he underwent going through the nightly routine of having his no-crow collar put on him, which only works if its on very tightly. He was constantly attempting to peck at it and ended up removing all his feathers from his neck and some from his breast. He probably didn't get much sleep either which also affected his immune system. I was given medication to clear up his infection and hopefully he will start gaining some weight back. The vet said she has been experimenting with a new method to help reduce the crowing by placing an implant on the back between the feathers that releases a hormone she is finding some success with. So now I have given up on using the no crow collar - he can't get enough food down, it's stressful for him, and it just doesn't work very well. Since I am already going through the nightly routine of picking him up and putting the collar on, I will just scrap that and put him in a crate with wood shavings and food and water, cover it with dark blankets, and put him in my husband's supply room in the back of our car port ( we have no garage) for the night. Hopefully the walls and blankets will muffle the sound of the crowing - which begins before dawn - better than the hen house. He will love not having a collar on, get more sleep, grow his feathers back, and now with the medication, start gaining his weight back. I feel just terrible for him but the reality is people have to get their sleep, too, so we are now just considering re-homing him after his health improves. The vet also gave me a number of a sanctuary she feels confident would accept him, which would be nice because I have not found one on my own that will. It's a bit discouraging but I've done my best in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom