New to guineas

Oreo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
South Carolina
Hi, everybody. I recently obtained three guineas, two females and a male. From reading on this forum, I learned of the need to keep them caged up for quite some time to get them to "imprint" or realize this new place is home. I have them in a space 5x10' with chain link, woven wire, or wooden bars on all four sides. I have bird netting over the top. So far I have had them in there for 12 days. They have a plastic doghouse they can go into if they want shade or shelter, but I have never seen them enter it. I give them cracked corn twice a day as well as supplementing it with a high-octane show-bird feed, which I give them according to the package instructions for guineas. This I do since they can't free-range just now due to the imprinting schedule. They are adjacent to my chicken run, where they can see the chickens (and argue with them) directly through the wire. The chickens are let out to free-range every day, and are on all four sides of the guineas at that time.

Some of you have said it takes at least 8 weeks to imprint new guineas at your home. I am willing to do this if it is necessary, but I just thought I'd check again. Also-- when I do let them out, will they constantly try to go back to their 5x10 area, or will they eventually mingle with the chickens and stay in the bigger chicken run there? Will they behave badly if they are not let back into their 5x10 run?

My other question has to do with eggs. I do not know how old these birds are, but will the females lay eggs after a while when they are still confined in the run? What will start them laying eggs? We haven't seen a single one yet.

Thanks.
Jim

Yes, leave them in the coop for 8 weeks. Then let only 1 out for a few days and then another for a few days. They won't go far from the group. They will try to keep going back to the coop you have them in now. If they can't get in, then they will more than likely roost on the top. Here in Texas, they start laying around April-July then nothing until next year.

How old are they? I got mine as babies and they roam all day and only go back to the coop at night. I have a lot more chickens than guineas and they all get along pretty well. They usually are separate from the chickens but I think that's just because they're busy looking for stuff to eat. They will lay eggs while confined but it might take a while for them to settle in.

The worst thing mine do is get on the wrong side of the fence. It can be real hard to get them back where they belong because they can't figure it out. I think most people end up liking them, I hope you do.

I like them so far. I'm looking forward to letting them out to roam. Won't be for a while though! Do you think the diet I described is sufficient? I also stick some grass in for them from time to time and vegetative table scraps.

Back
Top Bottom