New to hatching and I am worried.....

codeman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
After much research I have decided to hatch my own chicks. They were placed in the incubator last Wednesday March 5th at 3:30 PM. I have been turning them 3 times a day and have kept the temperature and humidity at the standards. This forum has been wonderful in obtaining additional information and I must say that I am addicted. But after reading some of the posts I am now worried....what do I do once the pipping begins?? Do I let nature take it's course? When do I step in? I see some posts where the chicks are being helped out of their shells, or wrapped in wet towels and put back in the incubator????? Others talk about the air sac.....How do I know when to take over?

Thank you!!!!

Thank you

you will know whaen to take over. if the chick is having problems pipping around the shell then you can jump in. I peel like a hardboiled egg. slowly but carefully

I have been hatching for a few years
wink.png
and I have never helped a chick out of its shell....I have never had to and I have never lost a chick that has pipped...thats not to say that somewhere down the line I might...I have always been told its the weak chicks that can't make it out and you can and will have problems with them...thats my opinion I'm sure lots on here will jump of the band wagon...

I let nature take its course ...pipping takes up to 24 hours and longer I think people jump in too soon.....

Back
Top Bottom