New to hatching ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EastinChickens, May 29, 2010.

1. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Hi-

I thought it would be fun to hatch some ducklings, but I haven't done it before. The only thing I have hatched have been chickens... Anyway, I have a few questions about how to incubate duck eggs.

1- What is the recommended temp? Humidity?
    2- How long is the incubation process? I think I heard around 30 days...
    3- What breed would you suggest if I were to mix them with my flock of chickens?

Any and all imput is appriceated!!

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We have runners, and rouens.

1. runners days 1 thru 26 temp. 99.5 humidity 65% to 70%
    days 27 thru 29 temp. 97.0 humidity 80%
    We have had 3 hatches at these temps. & humidity & had 100% every time.
    2. Incubation time for runners is 28 1/2 days to 29 days. Different ducks different incubation periods
    3. We have all kinds of chickens, ducks, geese, & turkeys. Ducks we have rouens, crested, and runners. They all do just fine together!

GOOD LUCK!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    You have to pick a breed that is going to be friendly, pretty, and a nice layer. That way, you get the pets you are looking for, yard candy, and they can give back to you for all you do for them. I have raised Blue and Black Sweds, Pekins, Rouens, Mallards, Muscovies, and a variety of mixes. My favorites, by far, are the muscovies. They are the friendliest breed, followed closely by the Blue Sweds, IMO. At first I hated scovies, and I thought they were very ugly. Once I got them however, I completly changed my tune.

All breeds except muscovies incubate for about 28 days. They can take a few days longer, depending on all the factors put together. Muscovies incubate for 25 days. The temperature should be somewhere between 99 and 101 degrees. I gave a range because my Little Giant incubator is a still air, and will never hold a stable temp. I have been able to keep it in this range though, and it worked nicely.

Humidity should be at least 65%, and it should be upped near the end of hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by