New to hatching eggs - help please

chiknhurder

Songster
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Cass County Missouri
I purchased a Farm Innovators model 4200 incubator with turner and fan kit. The directions for it leave a lot of unanswered questions. Could someone run through a typical incubation for me?

I did purchase a digital thermometer/hygrometer and right now it's setting at 100 degrees F. (reads only whole degrees) and 39% humidity. The highest it's been on humidity is 41% about 2 hours ago. All of the reservoirs are filled with water. How important is the humidity? How can I increase it if it's already as full as I can fill it? I'm reading about people weighing eggs and measuring air sacs. Is it really that critical? My first successful incubation was over 50 years ago for me when I hatched 2 out of 3 eggs in one of those little incubators that looks like a flying saucer. That was also my last incubation experiment.

Do I take the turner out at some point? If so, what holds the eggs in the proper position? It's held 100 degrees now for about 3 hours. Can I load it up or should I wait until morning?

Last edited:
There should be humidity level/hygrometer on top of the incubator. On mine this reads between 50-60% while my digital one reads 40%. i have had condensation on the incubator windows so i feel the hygrometer on the incubator is more accurate.

Everything I've read says that neither the thermometer or hygrometer are accurate on this brand. My digital thermometer says 100 and the one on the bator says 105.

Also, I got this jumbo egg today from one of my Marans. Should I bother with trying to hatch it to see what I get? Twins?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom