New to hatching

LOL. Yeah, not familiar with a single place you listed....lol We're about 45 minutes from the Canadian border going in from Ogdensburg. We get quite a bit of snow up here. I hate it so much. I want to be in a state that doesn't get snow!!
Lol. Its okay. I dont know many places that arent within a hour driving radius. Everything else when I'm looking into getting new birds or such goes through google maps. I bet you get snow! I actually kind of like the snow, not so much the freezing cold temps that usually come with it but the snow itself I find quite serene. I used to hate it more when I first started driving and dreaded that first winter. Now Im just like whatever, as long as I can get out of my driveway snow doesnt stop me! I think I would need to live in a state that still gets some snow, maybe not as much as one would get up here but still a bit. Not sure I could do the temps of summer all long either. My body is a very particular creature.

Lol.  Its okay.  I dont know many places that arent within a hour driving radius.  Everything else when I'm looking into getting new birds or such goes through google maps.  I bet you get snow!  I actually kind of like the snow, not so much the freezing cold temps that usually come with it but the snow itself I find quite serene.  I used to hate it more when I first started driving and dreaded that first winter.  Now Im just like whatever, as long as I can get out of my driveway snow doesnt stop me!  I think I would need to live in a state that still gets some snow, maybe not as much as one would get up here but still a bit.  Not sure I could do the temps of summer all long either.  My body is a very particular creature.

I was ok with driving in it until my mid 20's when I totaled my car in a white out. Ever since then I get get extra nervous and can't stand it. I hate most everything about NY winters. I just want to find a place with spring weather all year round, that doesn't have the strict homeschool regs that NY does and I'd be happy...lol

I was ok with driving in it until my mid 20's when I totaled my car in a white out. Ever since then I get get extra nervous and can't stand it. I hate most everything about NY winters. I just want to find a place with spring weather all year round, that doesn't have the strict homeschool regs that NY does and I'd be happy...lol
Oh no! I'm glad you are okay. I probably would be the same if I did that. Thank god in the years I've had my license I have never had an accident. Spring or fall weather I could deal with. I dont know about you up there but we have had some super hot summer days and I dont dig that at all. I keep hoping and am keeping my fingers crossed that I may have a broody hen next year so I dont have to try my luck at an incubator, will have one on hand anyways just in case though. Do you think a hen would sit on duck eggs for length they need to? Or is there a good duck that makes a good broody?

I have to be honest incubating eggs scares me!

Oh no! I'm glad you are okay. I probably would be the same if I did that. Thank god in the years I've had my license I have never had an accident. Spring or fall weather I could deal with. I dont know about you up there but we have had some super hot summer days and I dont dig that at all. I keep hoping and am keeping my fingers crossed that I may have a broody hen next year so I dont have to try my luck at an incubator, will have one on hand anyways just in case though. Do you think a hen would sit on duck eggs for length they need to? Or is there a good duck that makes a good broody?

I have to be honest incubating eggs scares me!
I'm just the opposite, I hate haing a broody and I have them constantly!! RIght now I have 4 trying to be broody!! I keep taking their eggs, but they aren't going to give up. I'm going to have to cage them to break them. You need a broody, come get a couple of mine...lol My Spitz and my Black Japanese banty are the top broody birds I have and I always seem to hae one or two of my mixes wanting to be too. Yes, a good dedicated broody will sit long enough for ducks to hatch, but having an incubator on hand for "just in cases" is always a good idea. Some chickens won't even sit long enough to finish their own eggs, it all depends on the birds.

Yeah, we've been having some sweltering weather up here too. That's what I hate, we don't get a good spring or fall, it seems like it's so sweltering hot you don't want to be outside to so darn cold you don't want to be outside...lol

Incubating can be nerve wracking, but once you know your temps are accurate and steady and you know how to judge your humidity, you've got a pretty darn good chance of sucess if you are incubating local eggs and the parent stock is healthy and the eggs are fresh.

I'm just the opposite, I hate haing a broody and I have them constantly!! RIght now I have 4 trying to be broody!! I keep taking their eggs, but they aren't going to give up. I'm going to have to cage them to break them. You need a broody, come get a couple of mine...lol My Spitz and my Black Japanese banty are the top broody birds I have and I always seem to hae one or two of my mixes wanting to be too. Yes, a good dedicated broody will sit long enough for ducks to hatch, but having an incubator on hand for "just in cases" is always a good idea. Some chickens won't even sit long enough to finish their own eggs, it all depends on the birds.

Yeah, we've been having some sweltering weather up here too. That's what I hate, we don't get a good spring or fall, it seems like it's so sweltering hot you don't want to be outside to so darn cold you don't want to be outside...lol

Incubating can be nerve wracking, but once you know your temps are accurate and steady and you know how to judge your humidity, you've got a pretty darn good chance of sucess if you are incubating local eggs and the parent stock is healthy and the eggs are fresh.
I might take you up on that offer one of these days! Lol. The only broody I have ever had so far was my Australorp, who unfortunately got snagged by a predator this year during one of her broody moments and on the day I was going to cave and get her eggs. I have a orpington now that I hope may go broody for me. Other than that I don't really have any breeds that are known for their broodiness. Except maybe my Sussex. But the ones you mentioned I will have to keep in mind in case I decide to get more chickens sometime soon.

Today was pretty decent down here for me. I was happy to sit outside for most of the day and of course the other part of the day consisted of running errands. Yay for errands..

I know the first time I do it its going to be nerve wracking. I plan on hopefully doing it with eggs from my own ducks. If I get the ones tomorrow I will have two males, one a khaki campbell and the other an ancona. And I have a mix of ducks so I could probably end up with some pretty cool barnyard mixes. Of course I would like to separate the anconas for a bit though so I know thats what I'm hatching. My boyfriend the enabler gave me some more money so I could get a third female tomorrow instead of just two! How amazing is he?

Of course this is after him trying to tell me that I had a flock limit of 50 birds. I laughed when he said that. Now a couple months later he is just as addicted as I am. Of course I think he has a soft spot for the ducks. He really enjoys watching them.

AmyLynn I cannot thank you enough for answering all my questions. I know I'm going to probably end up with more at some point but you have given me so much information that I am halfway confident that I wont have any issues when I decide to hatch next year.

I might take you up on that offer one of these days! Lol. The only broody I have ever had so far was my Australorp, who unfortunately got snagged by a predator this year during one of her broody moments and on the day I was going to cave and get her eggs. I have a orpington now that I hope may go broody for me. Other than that I don't really have any breeds that are known for their broodiness. Except maybe my Sussex. But the ones you mentioned I will have to keep in mind in case I decide to get more chickens sometime soon.

Today was pretty decent down here for me. I was happy to sit outside for most of the day and of course the other part of the day consisted of running errands. Yay for errands..

I know the first time I do it its going to be nerve wracking. I plan on hopefully doing it with eggs from my own ducks. If I get the ones tomorrow I will have two males, one a khaki campbell and the other an ancona. And I have a mix of ducks so I could probably end up with some pretty cool barnyard mixes. Of course I would like to separate the anconas for a bit though so I know thats what I'm hatching. My boyfriend the enabler gave me some more money so I could get a third female tomorrow instead of just two! How amazing is he?

Of course this is after him trying to tell me that I had a flock limit of 50 birds. I laughed when he said that. Now a couple months later he is just as addicted as I am. Of course I think he has a soft spot for the ducks. He really enjoys watching them.

AmyLynn I cannot thank you enough for answering all my questions. I know I'm going to probably end up with more at some point but you have given me so much information that I am halfway confident that I wont have any issues when I decide to hatch next year.
No problem. That's great that you have an enabler! lol Silkies are known to be extremely broody. I had 4 pet quality silkies for a year, (they got moved out this summer) and not a one of them went broody. I got silkie eggs from @RubyNala97 this spring. She has beautiful bearded silkies and is downstate. I had 12 hatch, (my avatar pic is one of them.) I am waiting to see how they are going to be next spring with broodiness. Her's are quite broody...lol

That is a cute little chick! I will have to keep her silkies in mind if I ever decide I want one. I have considered it because I have heard of their broodiness but unfortunately the silkie has never appealed to me. So I am hoping my orpington or sussex will go broody for me. So I got the ducks! Sadly the kid who was selling them couldnt catch me a black female but the male is a tri color! Unfortunately my pictures dont show that very well but there is blue on his back in addition to the chocolate and black you see.

That is a cute little chick! I will have to keep her silkies in mind if I ever decide I want one. I have considered it because I have heard of their broodiness but unfortunately the silkie has never appealed to me. So I am hoping my orpington or sussex will go broody for me. So I got the ducks! Sadly the kid who was selling them couldnt catch me a black female but the male is a tri color! Unfortunately my pictures dont show that very well but there is blue on his back in addition to the chocolate and black you see.
Awe!! Duckies!!! Congrats!

They are notorious for broodieness. My original silkies were pet quality, nothing to
ep.gif
about, but these guys are beautiful. I'll share a couple of pics:

Back
Top Bottom