New to hatching

SelfSufficientMe

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
Central Florida
This is my first attempt at hatching ducklings. I’ve set 10 Welsh Harlequin eggs. I couldn’t fit more without my incubator being overcrowded. I went cheap and bought a clearanced $20 incubator. Figured the kids would enjoy it and I know I will😄 Plus my niece told me she wanted some ducklings so here we go.

Today is day 7. I cancelled all 10 and all are developing as they should be. My concern is with the humidity and hatching day. And air/oxygen inside the incubator. I have to remove the entire lid to remove a duckling and there’s absolutely no way 10 ducklings will fit in there if I’m not home when they hatch. They’ll suffocate. There are a few tiny holes along the bottom.

What tactics do you all use when removing babies without harming the unhatched eggs? Does anyone have this incubator and how does all go when hatching occurs in your absence? Here is a pic of the incubator I bought and a photo of an egg. They all look like this one. Pretty little starter veins. I’ve googled the topic but just curious what others do. Thanks😄

Also, my incubator has no humidity sensor but I did put a hydrometer in there the day before I set the eggs and it read 50% without water. I’ve added a little water each day to keep a small amount in there at all times and I really have no idea what the humidity is at this point. The device will not fit with the eggs. I keep the temp at 37.5 Celsius but if fluctuates a tenth of a degree up and down. Auto rotates. I’ve read to add a full bottle at lock down. Your tips and options are appreciated 👍

Attachments

• D882D0FA-599E-4518-A5E9-D8F3D87CF8E9.jpeg
    D882D0FA-599E-4518-A5E9-D8F3D87CF8E9.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 54
  • F15233F7-7B89-4CBE-A84A-A13B9983EFE3.jpeg
    F15233F7-7B89-4CBE-A84A-A13B9983EFE3.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
. My concern is with the humidity and hatching day. And air/oxygen inside the incubator.
From my experience...and trail and error. Whenever I hatch ducklings I always keep the humidity higher than I do hatching chicks. Keep in mind whenever a mother duck comes off her nest she will go to water...so therfore her breast will be much more moist than other poultry whenever she returns to her eggs. Hence higher humidity. I try to keep mine @ 65percent during incubation and then during lockdown 70+...but no higher than 80.
What tactics do you all use when removing babies without harming the unhatched eggs?
if a few hatch..I sooo badly want 2 open the incubator and make sure they are OK. BUT if any are pipping I will leave it locked down. From my experience if the humidity is not accurate whenever that top is lifted.
.50/50 chance of "shrink wrapping" the hatchling. I don't leave any babies in incubator over 36 hours. Day and a half, but 2 each it's own. I'm kinda a weirdo tho...I believe with inspiration there is creation....by that I mean if the unhatched hear the hatched it inspires them to come on out. If that makes any sense?
Does anyone have this incubator and how does all go when hatching occurs in your absence?
Have never seen or used a incubator so tiny...but hey if you have a good outcome...might invest

I have only been hatching ducks for a year and at leasr 2 dozen raised to adulthood.. Best of luck ....HAPPY HATCHING!!!
Unsure how to tag..but @Miss Lydia knows her ducks and yours..
Winkwink

I weigh my eggs at the start and once a week after to make sure I’m getting proper weight loss
That way at the half way mark I can adjust humidity to get my goal weight loss
I also mark my air cells and have got very good at knowing where they should be
I run my humidity at 40-45% during incubation
On day 10 I start the cool down method of 10 mins and misting the eggs to copy mom leaving the nest and having a bath then sitting on the eggs with a damp belly
For lockdown I don’t up my humidity until I see an internal pip and then I bump it to 70-75 %
There should be plugs or a air flow if some kind to open ( I leave mine open all the way through
If there isn’t any I would make some holes in the styrofoam part as they will need air
I also don’t go by the book of day 25 lockdown
I go by my eggs
Rocking abc rolling around , shadowing along lower part of air cell pushing on membrane and air cell dipping forward quickly compared to the weekly markings
At that point I stop turning my eggs and let babies get into position ti hatch. I candle daily from day 1 to internal pip
I remove my babies as soon as they are up running around in the bator and mostly fluffy ( usually 4-6 hours after hatching) but like to wait until there are at least 2 to move so baby doesn’t get lonely
I don’t lift the lid fully off just slightly to grab the babies and have never had my humidity drop over this
I get 90-100 % hatch rates and have helped many schools get this hatch rate as well
The only few babies I have lost were ones that nothing I could have done differently could save them
You can always put the bator in a bathroom at hatching time and turn the shower on hot for a few mins to warm up the room and give humidity so when you lift the lid it won’t change anything
This I have done if I need to assist any babies and need to have the egg out of the bator
Good luck and don’t be afraid to watch those babies grow daily :)
You won’t hurt them by candling

From my experience...and trail and error. Whenever I hatch ducklings I always keep the humidity higher than I do hatching chicks. Keep in mind whenever a mother duck comes off her nest she will go to water...so therfore her breast will be much more moist than other poultry whenever she returns to her eggs. Hence higher humidity. I try to keep mine @ 65percent during incubation and then during lockdown 70+...but no higher than 80.

if a few hatch..I sooo badly want 2 open the incubator and make sure they are OK. BUT if any are pipping I will leave it locked down. From my experience if the humidity is not accurate whenever that top is lifted.
.50/50 chance of "shrink wrapping" the hatchling. I don't leave any babies in incubator over 36 hours. Day and a half, but 2 each it's own. I'm kinda a weirdo tho...I believe with inspiration there is creation....by that I mean if the unhatched hear the hatched it inspires them to come on out. If that makes any sense?

Have never seen or used a incubator so tiny...but hey if you have a good outcome...might invest

I have only been hatching ducks for a year and at leasr 2 dozen raised to adulthood.. Best of luck ....HAPPY HATCHING!!!
Unsure how to tag..but @Miss Lydia knows her ducks and yours..
Winkwink
Thank you for your advice! Shrink wrapping is by biggest fear but I may try the shower trick. For reference the incubator is a Denest brand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DENEST-1...ning-Humidity-Chicken-Duck-Hatcher/2709256366

I’ll keep you posted on the duckling’s progress and final outcome😄

I weigh my eggs at the start and once a week after to make sure I’m getting proper weight loss
That way at the half way mark I can adjust humidity to get my goal weight loss
I also mark my air cells and have got very good at knowing where they should be
I run my humidity at 40-45% during incubation
On day 10 I start the cool down method of 10 mins and misting the eggs to copy mom leaving the nest and having a bath then sitting on the eggs with a damp belly
For lockdown I don’t up my humidity until I see an internal pip and then I bump it to 70-75 %
There should be plugs or a air flow if some kind to open ( I leave mine open all the way through
If there isn’t any I would make some holes in the styrofoam part as they will need air
I also don’t go by the book of day 25 lockdown
I go by my eggs
Rocking abc rolling around , shadowing along lower part of air cell pushing on membrane and air cell dipping forward quickly compared to the weekly markings
At that point I stop turning my eggs and let babies get into position ti hatch. I candle daily from day 1 to internal pip
I remove my babies as soon as they are up running around in the bator and mostly fluffy ( usually 4-6 hours after hatching) but like to wait until there are at least 2 to move so baby doesn’t get lonely
I don’t lift the lid fully off just slightly to grab the babies and have never had my humidity drop over this
I get 90-100 % hatch rates and have helped many schools get this hatch rate as well
The only few babies I have lost were ones that nothing I could have done differently could save them
You can always put the bator in a bathroom at hatching time and turn the shower on hot for a few mins to warm up the room and give humidity so when you lift the lid it won’t change anything
This I have done if I need to assist any babies and need to have the egg out of the bator
Good luck and don’t be afraid to watch those babies grow daily :)
You won’t hurt them by candling
Thank you. I will very likely be doing the shower trick for peace of mind 😊 Unplugging and transporting makes me nervous but surely 30 seconds shouldn’t do any harm.

A spray bottle came with the kit. I’ll begin misting tomorrow and google the cool down method. I know nothing about it.

I’m unable to poke holes in the styrofoam to allow more air but there is a circular hole on the top of the incubator that can be opened. It’s about the size of a quarter. My guess is that it is intended for humidity adjustments.

I’ll post updates and pics as I can throughout the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom