new to hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shawnkfl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    hi all! i'm brand new to hatching eggs of any kind. i decided to try a few chicken eggs for my daughters to see the whole process and hopefully end up with a few hens to gather fresh eggs eventually. so, i go on ebay, bid on an auction, then just browse around. i find some various pheasant eggs there, so i bid on a few of them. i ended up winning. all of the auctions! now i have 13 chicken eggs (various breeds) and 30 pheasant eggs!! i have yellow, red, blue back, green, buff and mutant pheasant eggs. anyway, i don't ne3ed this many but i'm sure not all will hatch. i'm using a little giant still air incubator set at 101* with a fluke temp sensor (instead of the one that came with it). they just went in the incubator tonight. according to what i read, the chickens should stop being turned on may 17th and the pheasants on may 21st. i'm turning by hand, which i hear will also reduce my hatch percentage. for me though, if a few hatch, it will be a success for my first attempt. anyway, i'll keep a repot if there is any interest. thanks for the space and for reading.

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Good luck! It is so much fun, this is my first hatch too and like you I went a little crazy. 18 Muscovy eggs, 8 mallard and 8 silkies. Don't quote me but I think I have read that with a still air your temp should be 102. Maybe you could do a search and like I said good luck but be careful, this is addictive. [​IMG]

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Good for you! Sounds like you got a handle on the situation! You'll probably get a percentage of "dud" eggs, either due to infertility and/or rough shipping so you just may end up with the number you'd like! Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by