1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenkins boy, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jenkins boy

jenkins boy New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    I am new to owning and having chickens. i have 4 golden comets and 3 white legerns all that are laying. i am trying to fin out how i get the hen to sit on and hatch the eggs, any info concerning this would greatly be appreciated.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, [​IMG]

Are any of the seven a rooster?
    You can't make a hen go broody and sit on eggs, it has to be her idea. Some breeds are more likely to go broody but even they can't be forced into it.

3. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    yep, and then they good broody when you dont want them too LOL....

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Leghorns are not known for going broody - they're pure layers and most hatcheries have bred them to NOT go broody, as it interferes with egg production.

Comets are also layers, but they're hybrids, and I don't know how often that mix is prone to going broody.

And you cannot MAKE a hen go broody - it's hormonal and totally up to nature, not people.

There are a variety of breeds which are known to be more apt to go broody than others. You might check this handy chicken chart to see which breeds you'd like to consider if you want to have hens that set clutches of eggs and hatch them.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

5. gm3mta3

gm3mta3 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where else to post this but I've got a Humidaire Model 200 (I think) at my house that was there when I bought it. Can anyone tell me where I could look to find out some information on it as well as what it might be worth? I really don't need it. Thank you very much!!

6. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    [​IMG] Me to ..........Just put some eggs in the Hova [​IMG] hopping to get some fuzzys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by