New to having chickens but familiar with some of their care.

C Siena

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
Greetings to all, we have finally decided to build our coop and get chickens after a 2 years wait. We are now retired, so have the time and have assisted our neighbor with the care of their 45+ "girls" and 5 roosters. We live in rural Ohio, with plenty of space. We are thinking of beginning with about 4-6 hens and 1 rooster. Not sure of the breed/s but are planning for expansion for a breed specific coop for the 2nd one. Our neighbor has a number of different breeds in 4 coops but has a separate 5th coop for only bantam silkies.

After the first coop is completed and we have chickens and gain experience, we are going to add another coop to the side (using 1 side wall in common) and placing the pop doors so that one group can be in the run one day as the others have free range of the yard. We will alternate days with total free range. Just thinking. Glad to be a part of the group as I have been reading posts and found all are kind in their posts. Hopefully, we will be able to assist when we learn more. Thanks to all for your help.

Sounds like a great idea! I often find myself brainstorming about breed-specific arrangements or breeding coop type setups etc...

I currently have two breeds together that we only free range part time, but I am considering (hopefully, later this year) adding a rooster of one of the breeds so that I can tell the eggs apart and would only be setting eggs from the one breed. Having different egg color laying hens in that type of scenario would simplify such a rooster arrangement, where you really only wanted to hatch out a specific hens' eggs.

In fact, I myself would consider having a separate, "Rooster City," or Bro coop, so if I wanted to then breed the other hens, (after a cooling off period), I could swap in another rooster, and gather the other eggs.

You could even take it a step further and mark the hens with food coloring so you know which bird laid the egg, if you are trying to set her particular eggs or not. As sort of a precursor, I suppose, to having a actual dedicated breeding pens, right? Haha Don't mind me, just things I think about.

You're in the right place or learn and explore all things chicken!

Welcome to BYC.
The problem I see with your plan, is that there may come a time when all your birds need to be in a secure run at the same time. Examples of this might be a predator about, avian flu in your area, or a trip away from home.
Thank you, we will make a note of that. As we are just beginning, we are brainstorming ideas. People may say we are silly but hoping to have an Alpha rooster, if that make sense. Not one we cannot be around but one that will protect his harem...as our neighbor has. She told me a story of when a hawk flew over...that's another story but a good one. Thank you.

Greetings to all, we have finally decided to build our coop and get chickens after a 2 years wait. We are now retired, so have the time and have assisted our neighbor with the care of their 45+ "girls" and 5 roosters. We live in rural Ohio, with plenty of space. We are thinking of beginning with about 4-6 hens and 1 rooster. Not sure of the breed/s but are planning for expansion for a breed specific coop for the 2nd one. Our neighbor has a number of different breeds in 4 coops but has a separate 5th coop for only bantam silkies.

After the first coop is completed and we have chickens and gain experience, we are going to add another coop to the side (using 1 side wall in common) and placing the pop doors so that one group can be in the run one day as the others have free range of the yard. We will alternate days with total free range. Just thinking. Glad to be a part of the group as I have been reading posts and found all are kind in their posts. Hopefully, we will be able to assist when we learn more. Thanks to all for your help.
Welcome and enjoy your retirement! I love my hens. I'm glad you put so much thought into coop and you have some experience with chickens! Would love to see set up once it's done please send pictures. My hubby and I designed our coop 3 times! It's been 2 1/2 years and I still love it.
IMG_20200902_154106.jpg
Lots of improvements and additions to flock! Last spring I forfeited my "storage area" and built onto original coop for our chicks last year! :eek:I have doubled our flock .... no tripled actually so watch out for something we call chicken math( it's a rare phenomenon with us chicken folks )
Glad you're here, great articles and community to learn from here.

Back
Top Bottom