new to homesteading and loving it.

Littlefox26

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Amelia VA
Basically I'm new in some way to all of this. Growing up my parents garden and raised chickens and we lived very rural. Now I'm 28 and married with our first child and a new home. We are on an adventure all out own. We have chickens two dogs (three if you count the one living with my parents at the moment) one is a 10 year old blue heeler the other a new 8 week old red heeler. I have two horses a quarter horse gelding and an arabian mare. We have a few cows and used to have two goats but I had to sell them, I have a policy on not keeping animals that dont earn their keep (there are plenty of accepting to this rule but I try to stick to it).life has been good to us and we are qorking on building a small farm as well as starting his own buisness. So now a few pictures
[/IMG]

How much land do you have?
I chuckle that you sold your goats because they didn't earn their keep, but you have 2 horses (AKA hay burners). As you said, always exceptions to the rule!

Lol we have 21 acres. And yeah always exceptions to the rules. I grew up obsessed with horses and made them my career so now that I'm a stay at home mom the two I have now are my life line to sanity. These are some of my chickens

Last edited:
Lol we have 21 acres. And yeah always exceptions to the rules. I grew up obsessed with horses and made them my career so now that I'm a stay at home mom the two I have now are my life line to sanity. These are some of my chickens

We have just started homesteading also. We have 3 kids with 1 on the way. Married for 5 years and I just turned 25. We have slowly but surely started to build our homestead. Our end goal is to be as self suffienct as possible. We want to grow all our own food and all the food for our livestock. Going off the grid in slow steps like not using the dish washer and doing laundry by hand and hang drying it in the summer. We also use oil lamps to light the house at night. I feel like a human when I am out there working the ground to plant the food we are going to eat and cleaning my stuff by hand and just doing things more "simply". Some things probably really are not more simple haha, We have 40 acres, about 40 chickens, 20 of which are meat birds that are about to go in the fridge, 4 meat rabbits and two dogs.

Are there any parts that have seemed overwhelming at first but you can see what in the long run it will be a better way of living?

Good luck with your endeavors!!!

I totaly admire you going off grid doylehomested. I enjoy my A.C. and washing machine to much but we have been talking about investing in solar panels one day. We have 20 acres most of which is going into pasture for the cows and horses. I want to start easing meat rabbits but I'm trying to not get ahead of myself like I did with my chickens. The thing that is the hardest but most rewarding in the long run is the garden. I do not under any surcumstances have a green thumb but my dad is helping and teaching me a lot about gardening. My mom keeps giving me a hard time, jokingly, about not planting according to the almanac which has been a staple in their house since I can remeber. My dad even cuts his hair according to it. My chickens are my most rewarding part though. My biggest obstical has been finding out that I dont know nearly as much as I thought I did. All of this stuff is way more involved than I could have ever imagined.

I started with homesteading plans 2 0 years ago . . my advice is to create a p lan of action. It can be re worked as some projects progress faster and as some need to be back burnered. Good luck. A worthwhile endervor!

Last edited:
I would worry about oil lamps and young kids. A simple solution may be to get a battery operated lamp and a solar panel for charging those batteries. Those solar panels have really come down in price and for recharging batteries or cell phones they work pretty good. It is a nice back-up to have on hand also.

New additions. Two khaki Campbell ducklings.my mother-in-law is giving me the other five so we are going to try to finish the chicken trailer this weekend so they have a home

Back
Top Bottom