New to incubating eggs I have a question!

Bryce227

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2021
This is my first attempt at incubating eggs. I have a incubator and have had the eggs in for about 8 hours now. The problem is, the first 7 hours being in the incubator my humidity was way too high in the 60s. I wanted to know if these eggs are still good to hatch or if I should throw them out and get a new batch. My humidity is perfect now as I have figured out how to stabilize it where I need it. Thanks!

In my experience those seven hours won’t make a huge difference. Before I learned that the humidity should be lower during the first part of incubation I had my humidity up around 50-60% for the whole hatch. For two sets. I still got some to hatch. I’m not sure if I got more or less to hatch with the dry incubation I’ve been doing but all my eggs have been shipped. So that’s a contributing factor for me.
But those seven hours shouldn’t hurt them. I don’t think you have to throw out the whole set. Incubate them at the proper humidity and temperature and see where they’re at in a week.

This is my first attempt at incubating eggs. I have a incubator and have had the eggs in for about 8 hours now. The problem is, the first 7 hours being in the incubator my humidity was way too high in the 60s. I wanted to know if these eggs are still good to hatch or if I should throw them out and get a new batch. My humidity is perfect now as I have figured out how to stabilize it where I need it. Thanks!
They should be fine. To much humidity can cause liquid to accumulate inside the egg. Which displaces the air reservoir in the egg, which the chick will need to breath during the piping process. This doesn't occur within a few hours. It takes quite awhile to accumulate enough water inside to cause an issue. If you were running into the 70's, that would be more concerning, but potentially may still not be a problem. Being a little to high on humidity, is better than being a little to low. Do you know if the hygrometer on your incubator is accurate? And echo what Smileybans stated, I do the same. My target is 50% to 60% the first 18 days

Last edited:
Howdy-
Is anyone else using the generically made Chinese model LN2 56 egg incubator? I just got mine last night and need help setting my days. All instructions seems to be working up until setting the "day" counter. Functions F1 & F2 never show up as indicated in the manual for adjusting humidity and day counter. My counter remains at day 1 even after factory resetting and starting from scratch. Please help! Cheers and good luck on your clutch...

20201204_10372515.jpg

They should be fine. To much humidity can cause liquid to accumulate inside the egg. Which displaces the air reservoir in the egg, which the chick will need to breath during the piping process. This doesn't occur within a few hours. It takes quite awhile to accumulate enough water inside to cause an issue. If you were running into the 70's, that would be more concerning, but potentially may still not be a problem. Being a little to high on humidity, is better than being a little to low. Do you know if the hygrometer on your incubator is accurate? And echo what Smileybans stated, I do the same. My target is 50% to 60% the first 18 days
Yes I bought a hygrometer to make sure that it was 100% accurate. It’s within 1 % so that’s okay. And I welll give them a while and hope for the best. Thanks for the reply!

In my experience those seven hours won’t make a huge difference. Before I learned that the humidity should be lower during the first part of incubation I had my humidity up around 50-60% for the whole hatch. For two sets. I still got some to hatch. I’m not sure if I got more or less to hatch with the dry incubation I’ve been doing but all my eggs have been shipped. So that’s a contributing factor for me.
But those seven hours shouldn’t hurt them. I don’t think you have to throw out the whole set. Incubate them at the proper humidity and temperature and see where they’re at in a week.
That’s what I’ll do. I’ll incubate them for a week and check them and if they are okay then I’ll continue with the process l. Thank you for the reply!

Howdy-
Is anyone else using the generically made Chinese model LN2 56 egg incubator? I just got mine last night and need help setting my days. All instructions seems to be working up until setting the "day" counter. Functions F1 & F2 never show up as indicated in the manual for adjusting humidity and day counter. My counter remains at day 1 even after factory resetting and starting from scratch. Please help! Cheers and good luck on your clutch...
Please start a new thread for your question.

I made sure and went and bought a hygrometer and it’s within 1% so I think it’s good. Hopefully they are okay, I’m running 40% humidity now and hope that’s not too low!

how did yoh get the humidity to stabalize..im haveing same proble

Back
Top Bottom