1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EggyChicken, Aug 21, 2008.

1. EggyChicken

EggyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    England UK
    Hi all just got an incubator on ebay @

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150281981160

Please be honest and tell me if the price i havepaid is ok.

Now never done it before so how does it work?

I know it takes 21days (ish) once they hatch do i leave them in thier for a bit? of take them out into a new place under heat?

Any advice and tips would be great + honest review of what i have just got off ebay

2. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Hmmm...I click on link to see it and I get an error page. [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It looks like a UK listing so I don't know if you bought it in the UK or not. Hard to say how much thing cost there.

Once ALLl the eggs hatch you can remove them to a brooder. They are fine in the incubator for at least 24-36 hours. Don't take them out until they are dry and fluffy. You brooder should be set up in advance of the hatch and you need a heat source and thermometer. They should be around 90 degrees the frist week and temps need to be decreased each week by 5 degrees. It is best to put them on a paper towel, not newspaper for the first 3-4 days. I use an old towel and just turn it and the replace with another. It gives them a chance to get good footing when their little legs are just starting to work. A slippery surface can cause spraddle legs.

During incubation keep incubator at 99 - 100 if forced air and 101-102 if still air. Humidity should be 50% for 18 days and increased to near 70% for the last three days.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by