New to layers his year, but they lay everywhere

gevannos

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Hi all

I have layers this year for the first time and so far we love the eggs. Fresh eggs are so much better.

But, they lay eggs all over the coop but never in the 2 nest boxes I put in the coop. I have a coop that is 8 x 12, 6 hens and I use shavings and there is a bale of hay in there. Their favorite place is to lay on the bale of hay, but not one yet in the two nest boxes. The boxes I have are the plywood ones from Tractor supply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Eric

Is that bale perhaps in a corner in a dark area of the coop? Do you have any fake eggs or real eggs in the nest boxes? How long have they been laying?

Agreed with the previous post, put some fake eggs in the nest. They see those and perceive it as a safe place to lay. You can use wooden eggs, golf balls, plastic eggs, what ever you have on hand.

Good idea, I'll find something that looks like eggs and try that. Maybe Walmart has some easter eggs left. The coop is fairly well lit so there aren't any shadows.

They started laying about 3 weeks ago. I think only 2 are laying so far. We get 2 eggs every other day or so and so far two different sizes, but very tasty.

Thanks folks

I am also in my first year so not an expert at all but we put straw in our nest boxes and golf balls and our hens lay in the boxes. Except for the shelless ones that they layed in the night right under the roost, seemed like they were on accident!

When I free ranged my birds they loved to lay in the hay barn. When I cooped them, I had one persistant girl who would escape each day, lay her egg in the hay barn, and patiently hang out by the run door for me to let her back in! Try the hay in the boxes, and maybe try making the boxes a little secluded.

Back
Top Bottom