New to me Turkey - A few questions

My turkeys need to be tucked in at night. They are usually waiting for me. I have 4 turkey hen pets. They are loves! Tons of fun. I think your boy needs a few girls of his own. As pointed out, he could injure/kill a chicken trying to breed it. I certainly enjoy my gitls... good luck with him!!

At 9 months he would be ok with an all flock feed of 16-18% protein. If you feed a layer feed to your chickens he does not need the added calcium. You can feed all birds an all flock feed with free choice oyster shell for the calcium needed by hens for laying.
If it is a he, you will want to keep separate from chickens so he does not try to breed chicken hens and accidentally squash a hen. It would be a good idea to get him 2-4 hens depending on his mentality. Some toms are ok with couple hens and do not over breed while others need more hens to divide his attention among them.

I went to the feed store and they didn't have an all flock feed. They had turkey/game bird feed and that is what the feed store owner suggested. I hop
At 9 months he would be ok with an all flock feed of 16-18% protein. If you feed a layer feed to your chickens he does not need the added calcium. You can feed all birds an all flock feed with free choice oyster shell for the calcium needed by hens for laying.
If it is a he, you will want to keep separate from chickens so he does not try to breed chicken hens and accidentally squash a hen. It would be a good idea to get him 2-4 hens depending on his mentality. Some toms are ok with couple hens and do not over breed while others need more hens to divide his attention among them.

I went to our feed store and they didn't have all flock feed. What he had, and what he suggested is a turkey/game bird feed. The protein says not less than 21.5%. Is that ok?

I went to the feed store and they didn't have an all flock feed. They had turkey/game bird feed and that is what the feed store owner suggested. I hop

I went to our feed store and they didn't have all flock feed. What he had, and what he suggested is a turkey/game bird feed. The protein says not less than 21.5%. Is that ok?
It will be okay.

@R2elk can you 'home' a turkey to a coop by confining them there for a few days to a week, like you can a chicken?

@happymom99 what does the turkey's coop look like, is it big enough and arranged to accommodate him?
Dimensions and pics of coop would be great......and of the bird! :D

@R2elk can you 'home' a turkey to a coop by confining them there for a few days to a week, like you can a chicken?

@happymom99 what does the turkey's coop look like, is it big enough and arranged to accommodate him?

This is his coop and run and then he free ranges in our yard during the day. This is the coop and run he has had since he was a chick. We got him, his coop and his three chicken friends all together.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-welded-wire-canopy-coop-gc001?cm_vc=-10005

A56FBDCE-1933-4CEE-8E55-2B9468EF01BE.jpeg
0A5F24D5-264A-49B7-A3A6-88D573A38394.jpeg
This is his coop and run and then he free ranges in our yard during the day. This is the coop and run he has had since he was a chick. We got him, his coop and his three chicken friends all together.

Here are some pics of Papi.

Back
Top Bottom