New to meat birds and have some questions

hilltopchicks77

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Set up- we live in the woods and my layers loved free ranging in the leaves for bugs etc. can I build a chicken tractor for the woods?

I’m thinking of getting a set of birds then pick a few and kept them, using them to breed so I can hopefully hatch my own meat bird flock from there.

I’m looking at freedom hatchery. I was thinking of getting a few freedom Rangers, kosher Kings and tricolor and seeing which I like best. I realize breeding any of these they would no longer be“true” since they’re hybrids but I would likely still have a decent meat bird right? I want something sustainable but not one I’m going to have to take several generations out to turn into a meat bird. (I’ve seen some people do it with heritage breeds and it’s cool but not what I’m interested in).These are for me not other people so I’m not concerned with having mchickens per say.

butchering - we’re considering a plucker. Has anyone tried the drill type? We don’t want to go all in with the drum style unless we’re sure this is a thing.

do we need a special place to butcher? I mean I assume it will take over the kitchen for a few days but hubs thinks we need a whole set up for it.
Thanks for any input!

Set up- we live in the woods and my layers loved free ranging in the leaves for bugs etc. can I build a chicken tractor for the woods?

I’m thinking of getting a set of birds then pick a few and kept them, using them to breed so I can hopefully hatch my own meat bird flock from there.

I’m looking at freedom hatchery. I was thinking of getting a few freedom Rangers, kosher Kings and tricolor and seeing which I like best. I realize breeding any of these they would no longer be“true” since they’re hybrids but I would likely still have a decent meat bird right? I want something sustainable but not one I’m going to have to take several generations out to turn into a meat bird. (I’ve seen some people do it with heritage breeds and it’s cool but not what I’m interested in).These are for me not other people so I’m not concerned with having mchickens per say.

butchering - we’re considering a plucker. Has anyone tried the drill type? We don’t want to go all in with the drum style unless we’re sure this is a thing.

do we need a special place to butcher? I mean I assume it will take over the kitchen for a few days but hubs thinks we need a whole set up for it.
Thanks for any input!
I have heard a drill plucker throws feathers all over the place

I have a plastic fish/game table I bought at Menards on sale for about 40 dollars... I use outside to gut and cut up birds. It has a groove to catch the blood and directs it to the shallow sink.
It's similar to this one https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-folding-processing-table-1605250815-1

can I build a chicken tractor for the woods?

I'm sure you can, people can do about anything. Not sure what you have in mind. "Tractor" can mean different things. I don't know what your woods look like but my concerns would be can you move it through the trees and how level the ground is.

I was thinking of getting a few freedom Rangers, kosher Kings and tricolor and seeing which I like best. :thumbsup

I realize breeding any of these they would no longer be“true” since they’re hybrids but I would likely still have a decent meat bird right?

They will have the genetics to be great meat birds. What that "breed true" means is that some are better than others, they are not going to be consistent. Most of them probably won't be as good as their parents but some can be pretty darn close. Usually, even the "bad" ones are pretty good.

Many people that do this cross them with a dual purpose bird. Even with Rangers you can get problems with them growing too fast or get so big they can't breed. People that tend to have the most success generally breed a dual purpose rooster over a "meat bird" hen. There are a few threads in this section about people doing that.

Some people use their kitchens but most of us don't. It's messy and I skin instead of pluck. As a bare minimum do the actual killing outside. I skin, clean, and cut into serving pieces outside. I bag them for the freezer in the kitchen and then wipe everything down with a bleach solution. I don't like raw meat splattering in the kitchen.

I don't know how much experience you've had butchering chickens, if you've had much you probably would not be asking. My suggestion is to do a couple the first time. Then use your judgment as to where you want to do what.

can I build a chicken tractor for the woods?

I'm sure you can, people can do about anything. Not sure what you have in mind. "Tractor" can mean different things. I don't know what your woods look like but my concerns would be can you move it through the trees and how level the ground is.

I was thinking of getting a few freedom Rangers, kosher Kings and tricolor and seeing which I like best. :thumbsup

I realize breeding any of these they would no longer be“true” since they’re hybrids but I would likely still have a decent meat bird right?

They will have the genetics to be great meat birds. What that "breed true" means is that some are better than others, they are not going to be consistent. Most of them probably won't be as good as their parents but some can be pretty darn close. Usually, even the "bad" ones are pretty good.

Many people that do this cross them with a dual purpose bird. Even with Rangers you can get problems with them growing too fast or get so big they can't breed. People that tend to have the most success generally breed a dual purpose rooster over a "meat bird" hen. There are a few threads in this section about people doing that.

Some people use their kitchens but most of us don't. It's messy and I skin instead of pluck. As a bare minimum do the actual killing outside. I skin, clean, and cut into serving pieces outside. I bag them for the freezer in the kitchen and then wipe everything down with a bleach solution. I don't like raw meat splattering in the kitchen.

I don't know how much experience you've had butchering chickens, if you've had much you probably would not be asking. My suggestion is to do a couple the first time. Then use your judgment as to where you want to do what.
We bought 1 to start with and 2 turkeys. We butcher deer regularly (at least 5 a year for the past 10+ years) and my husband hunts geese which you usually just breast put. We’ve done 4 ducks 2 skinned and 2 plucked. So yes experience is limited. We have a meat grinder, a good set of knives, a reused piece of plastic with a circle groove in the middle and a food saver so we have the basics just nothing to pluck with so that would be by hand at this point.

My boyfriend made this table, you'll definitely want something like that or the one from bass pro, it's a bit messy I wouldn't recommend doing it in your house. I we used that plucker and it was amazing, plucked it in a couple seconds. We borrowed it from someone though so I'm debating on spending the money on one, maybe making one. If your doing a lot, you definitely want one. I did 24 last year, we have ,40 coming soon. I might be in over my head this time 😬

Attachments

• 20190630_140956.jpg
    20190630_140956.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 10
My boyfriend made this table, you'll definitely want something like that or the one from bass pro, it's a bit messy I wouldn't recommend doing it in your house. I we used that plucker and it was amazing, plucked it in a couple seconds. We borrowed it from someone though so I'm debating on spending the money on one, maybe making one. If your doing a lot, you definitely want one. I did 24 last year, we have ,40 coming soon. I might be in over my head this time 😬
Ahhh the one I saw was $350 used so I’m debating how far in I wanna to lol

I built a drill type plucker, used it one time and stopped. my wife was beyond covered in feathers LOL. She bought me the plucker from Tractor Supply with a coupon on sale and it is worth the investment. we did 50 this last time, and were done in 2 day. As for keeping a chicken back for breeding. I have kept a Red Ranger rooster alive for 2 years. He is very active, and breeds any hen he can get a hold of. I may pen him with some hens and hatch some out.

Back
Top Bottom