New to Meat Chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken03, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I was thinking about getting some meat chickens this spring. What is a good breed to start with? What about a good number? I don't think I'll be selling any just enough for the family. Are they raised much diffrently than any other chicken? Thanks for any replys.

2. feetsoup

feetsoup Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Pasadena
    If meat is your goal, Cornish X can't be beat. There's a ton of information on different threads here about the peculiarities of raising these birds; just look around!

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I'm going to get some meat chickens this spring and I'll be getting cornish x. They grow very fast and can be processed in about 8 weeks.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Go with Cornish X, and I'd get 25, which is the minimum for most hatcheries to ship. I wouldn't start with more until you get it figured out.

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thanks for the replys. I am planning on leaving the chickens in my small field in fenced in areas. As long as they have protection form the weather, do they have to have a coop or can they stay in the pens at night?

6. jaku

No need for a coop. Mine stay in a tractor all night.

7. mountainpridefarm

mountainpridefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    I am assuming jaku means a chicken tractor...just in case that may be your next question! [​IMG]

8. jaku

Quote:Yup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by