New to Muscovy’s. Need some help with drake behavior problem

Muscovylover1

Hatching
Apr 2, 2022
Hi there!

I’m very very new to caring for Muscovy’s, I just moved to a house with a big lake and it came with about 10 Muscovy’s. Two drakes and the rest hens.
I’m a big animal lover and couldn’t help but try to start caring for them. I’ve started feeding them with duck and geese food every day and it’s become a nice little routine. Luckily they all get along well, until today.
This morning when I went to feed them I noticed a new huge drake who I haven’t seen before in the two months I’ve been here show up. He is very aggressive towards the other ducks. He chases them away, the other drake included. I’m worried because now the other ducks are getting scared to come and eat and I don’t want him chasing them away for good.is there anything I can do to remedy the situation?
Sorry for the long text just a new Muscovy lover looking for some advice. Thank you so much!

:welcome:welcome:welcome

It's rather common, for people with animals to get more of the same thing abandoned at their place. Someone might have abandoned that drake at your place because they saw you had other ducks, and didn't want that one anymore.

I would first catch him and put him in a kennel or other means of separation. If you need advice on how to catch him, you can try these things:

• Hand catch him by bribing him with bread to come into your reach. (Bread is for baiting only, it shouldn't be an everyday diet.)
  • Trapping him. You can set up a three-way fence by either leading him in, or baiting him in with either the ducks' food, bread, or females. Once he's in, you can either go in and hand catch him or just plain put up a fourth wall to keep him inside.
  • Chasing him down. This is where you chase him until he's exhausted and sits down making him an easy catch. (I highly don't recommend this, but when all else fails, this is sometimes the only option.)
Talk to all your neighbors and ask them if they're missing a drake. If they are, then your problem is solved. If not, then I'd try rehoming him for the sake of your other drakes. I like to use Craigslist, and if you've never posted on there before, here's an article that can help you get started: How to Post on Craigslist

If you do want to keep him, I highly suggest putting up a pen for either him or your other drakes to protect them from each other. :)

I'm wondering we here you live. The muscovy drake that has now shown up may be feral -- as might the first muscovy ducks you found on the pond. Today's fly in may actually fly in at this time of year every year.

Muscovy -- particularly drakes -- ate territorial. Ducks, muscovy included, are highly motivated by food, as you have found. One way to manage the situation is to have more than one feedungcsyation as the fly in cannot defend more than one ay a time. Another way might be to feed them with floating duck food like Mazuri and throw handfuls in different directions.

The muscovy will sort things out for themselves but that might be with one or both the original drakes pushed out. The females will have the choice of staying with new dominant drake or leaving with their buddy

Back
Top Bottom