New to owning Ducks

Hi there,
So my 10 year old daughter talked me into getting two very cute Ducklings. They are now only 4 weeks old and oh how big they have gotten.

We were hoping to have them be cute and cuddly, but neither one is interested in being social with us. In fact, the one screams it head off when I am getting ready to pick it up. We are not sure if they are male or female. I guess we need to just wait.

I have been looking every where to figure out how to keep their water clean especially as we are planning on leaving for vacation in the next week.
I took some 2x4’s and made a square then covered the square in hardware cloth, and then I put a 16 qt feed pan from TSC under it then put the watered on top

These ideas all sound great. Right now, I think they are bigger than 4 weeks old. They must have been at the farm store for at least a week or two. I hav made a pen for them, but they like to just roam around the yard and play in the baby pool. The one is big enough to get out himself (herself?) the other one is trying but still not been able to.

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry ducks and clean water are never going to happen. Even if you have a set up like the one above they will drill in dirt and mud and put bills full of dirt in the water bowl to wash off. It a good thing they are cute. I love their clumsy antics. They will always prefer the company of other ducks to humans except.... Mealworms!

11840478-B06B-41C8-8AC3-1C8D6122A55D.png
When I got ducklings for myself they were freaked out and acted as though I was going to kill them every time I placed my hand in the brooder. I think it’s because they only saw me 2 or 3 times a day.

But at my feed store whenever we have ducklings, especially Pekins and they are there for over a week, they are extremely friendly. I think it’s because they are constantly exposed to humans. They all talk and nibble your hands when you go over to them.

As for a water, I always struggled. I use a gallon jug and cut a hole at the height of the base of their neck. With this you have to often get a new jug and cut a new hole, but it’s free and it can just be tossed when they out grow it. They don’t make as big of a mess but they’re ducks so a little mess is always expected.

my 1 duck just turned approx.11 mos old (had since 3 months old) and is NOW starting to run to my hand when I have a treat. Runs after me to touch me when I'm in their pen. But no way will he let me touch him! His name is Sharon-shes-a-man because as you can tell, we thought it was a girl at first lol. He's a black Cayuga. Kanye is a call duck. approx. 8 mos old, doesn't come near me either but, easier to catch!

As someone else said clean water and ducks is pretty laughable. Ducks eat, then drink, then repeat. Therefore their water is almost always covered in food muck. It’s just the way it is. My system is as follows- most important I use puppy pee pads for under their water so the entire brooder doesn’t turn into a slip n slide. Next either elevate their water a bit or put it within something else (I cut the ends off a kitty litter pan so they can enter but the spilled water stays within it). All this being said- you’ll still have mucky water and it’ll still be everywhere. These are just management tips haha.

Ducks are naturally afraid of people. Unless you spend 20 hours a day holding and petting them (I’m being dramatic but you need to spend a lot of time, daily), they’ll flip out and act like you’re trying to murder them anytime you put your hand in the brooder. It’s not until they get a bit older do the become more socialized with treat bribery.

Good luck to you! :)

Last edited:
View attachment 1731233
In reference to clean water, I made my ducks a special watered until they are old enough to go outside in the run, and then they will have a pond I will build for them.
Can you post a picture of the water you made? I'm very new to owning ducks and currently have both duck and chicks together, and their water is always dirty... Also is it okay to keep baby ducks and baby chickens together?

Back
Top Bottom