New to peafowl behavior, couple questions

fernandez0067

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Schenectady
An older gentlemen gave us his peacock and peahen late last summer. He is sick and couldnt take care of them anymore. After a few ridiculous attempts, we werent able to enclose them sucessfully, since they are full grown and very hard to catch. We fed and watered them this whole terrible winter and they stuck around. They actually hang around in an old trailer on our property and occassionally fly into the chicken area if something looked yummy. Or venture out ad strut around the driveway. Otherwise, they are very elusive and fearful of humans.

About a week and a half ago the peahen went missing, I read online that they usually start to lay eggs in April so Im hoping (**Fingers Crossed**) that she is sitting on a clutch somewhere in the woods. The male who is usally pretty quiet started screaming last Saturday morning, I went and checked him, he seemed to be fine, just really loud. He hasnt made a peep (that I know of) since.

If a peacock lost his peahen, would he call for her regularly? Would he roam around and look for her? If she is brooding in the woods would he stick around to keep a watchful eye? Should I go into the woods and look for her? If I found her sitting on eggs, would I startle her and make her leave them?

I have lots of chickens and I am accustomed to their behavior but I have a lot of learning to do with peafowl. I dont want to screw it up and I would LOVE to have peachicks this year.

I would try to find her, so you can keep an eye on her if she is setting on a nest anything can get her the male will not guard her very well if at all. If you spook her she will return to the nest.

Great thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to hear! Ive been dying to get out there and search but didnt want to sabotage the nest (if any).

Back
Top Bottom