new to peafowl (changed the name since i got babies today)

country_girl011

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
ohio
just thought id introduce myself to yall.
and say hey.
im hoping to joing the world of peafowl soon.
i have several local people as well as a family friend on the search for eggs from their peafowl.
and hope to have some within the next month to put under a chicken and in the bator.
as well as purchase a few chicks off of the family friend.
ive been trolling the section for a few weeks. learning all i can .
i plan to free range my peas.
and have them in with our chickens and guineas (i know the risks.)
our family friend has had luck with this and i hope i will as well.

Last edited:
i unexpectidly entered that world moments after i posted i recieved an email offering me 2 chicks.
1 is fine the other half alive by the time we got to get them. he is cold and fighting for his life in the bator.
the other chick is a joy. peeping (if you can call their noise that)
im totaly inlove already

i still have alot to learn.
about colors. and about peas in general.
but ive got the begining of my learning.

thank you very much.
the baby in the bator is starting to perk up
and the healthy baby is being spoiled. he is sitting in my lap. if i leave him in the brooder he cries.

im guessing these guys are just india blues? i did see the adults but both hens are not the same color?
im debating bringing in a guinea chick for this guy for a few days so hes not soo lonely. im hoping his buddy pulls thru, but im not counting on it.

I've never dealt with a sick baby one before but I would go to a feed store and get a thing or two of the prepackaged electrolytes for sick chicks, I've seen them before. Good luck :(

I've never dealt with a sick baby one before but I would go to a feed store and get a thing or two of the prepackaged electrolytes for sick chicks, I've seen them before. Good luck :(
i have some save a chick.
hes gettin getter slowly.
had to splint his curled toes
hopefully by evening he can join his buddy in the brooder

the healthy chick is now named piper.

the other chick still has me worried.
i have save-a-chick in their water.
he walks around but is wobbly and sits down alot.
i can not get him to eat or drink. despite trying all the trick i have read about. (marbles. playing in it with my fingers, ect)
he almost acts blind. or atleast partially. he stands in the corner and just cries and acts as if he is trying to get out thru the corner.
and currently he is just standing in the middle of the brooder making his "im lost" call. while piper is shooting him dirty looks for being so noisy.

im at a total loss on what to do .
also he has has what i would consider pasty butt. but that seems slightly better today . and his breathing sounds somewhat funny. hard to explain. and sometimes i see him gasp.
i really dont have much hope. he is approx 2-3 days old.

Back
Top Bottom