New to Peafowl

lcelaya

Hatching
Nov 7, 2023
Hello, I need some advice. I recently bought 2 IB Peacocks, 3yrs old. I have 22 acres in the country with lots of trees and really wanted to free range them but I only had them for about a month and I hear I have to keep them penned at least for 6 months due to flight risk before letting them free range with my Turkeys and chickens. The thing is I have them in their own pen they are are very skittish when I come around. They start pacing back and forth and run into the wire fenced walls trying not to let me get close to them. I am sad realizing I may never be able to free range them since they are so scared of me. I am thinking of selling them and maybe starting fresh with some baby peafowl so they can grow up with my Turkeys and chickens and then I will be able to free range them. Thoughts, advice and suggestions welcome.

Take a chair into the pen and start spending time with them. Let them run out of food and offer treats when they are hungry. Once they settle down you can let one out but only feed it in the pen. He should be bonded to the other bird and will want to stay close. Let him back inside in the evening to eat and drink. Alternate letting them out, eventually, they will want to stay close to home.

Take a chair into the pen and start spending time with them. Let them run out of food and offer treats when they are hungry. Once they settle down you can let one out but only feed it in the pen. He should be bonded to the other bird and will want to stay close. Let him back inside in the evening to eat and drink. Alternate letting them out, eventually, they will want to stay close to home.
That's a good idea.
Hello, I need some advice. I recently bought 2 IB Peacocks, 3yrs old. I have 22 acres in the country with lots of trees and really wanted to free range them but I only had them for about a month and I hear I have to keep them penned at least for 6 months due to flight risk before letting them free range with my Turkeys and chickens. The thing is I have them in their own pen they are are very skittish when I come around. They start pacing back and forth and run into the wire fenced walls trying not to let me get close to them. I am sad realizing I may never be able to free range them since they are so scared of me. I am thinking of selling them and maybe starting fresh with some baby peafowl so they can grow up with my Turkeys and chickens and then I will be able to free range them. Thoughts, advice and suggestions welcome.
Also remember to be patient. Don't give up on them yet! Try giving them fresh grass/enrichment to keep them entertained until they can hopefully free range!

Back
Top Bottom