new to pheasants

suburbanite

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
yesterday, on a whim, I found a pair of ringnecks on CL for a decent price, so I thout, why not.....

guy I got them from had the pair in a small hampster cage, approx 16 by 16 by 24 (all inches)

the birds were a bit bald on top of their heads from trying to fly anytime they got excited, and hitting their heads on the top of the cage.
and, the male's tail was missing, the guy told me he had no idea why, but it just fell out (I am thinking because of the small space he had them in)

I asked if the hen was laying, he told me that his buddy has some the same age and were laying like crazy, but his hadn't layed at all. By the time I had the birds home for about 2 hours, she had layed an egg in her temporary cage. Bad thing is, I reached in to retrieve it, and the birds got really excited and started jumping trying to get away from me, and broke the egg.

For the next 2 days, the birds are in a 2 foot by 2 foot by 3 foot cage, but I have a 6 foot by 6 foot by 10 foot dog kennel coming that I will line with chicken wire and put netting across the top for them.

I have a couple questions, I have read many pheasant threads on here, but cant find a clear cut answer to a couple questions.

1. inside the new enclosure, should I build them a small house or nesting box? if so, what is a good size?

2. Once I retrieve an egg from them, how do I store it untill I have enough to incubate? My wife has a friend who incubates chicken eggs and will most likely incubate my pheasant eggs for me.

Also, will the hen sit on her own eggs till they hatch if I leave them in there with her?

thanks for all the advice

Put some tree branches with plenty of evergreens leaning in each corner of the cage so they can hide from you.This will also give the hen cover to lay her eggs.Also hang a bushel basket with straw in it from the side of the cage at least 4 ft off the ground and this will be another egg laying option.Don't forget to get them a perch at least 3 " in diameter and 3 ft down from the roof so predators can not reach down and grab them.You can supply them witha small house,but I doubt if they will use it at all.
As for storing your eggs.They need to be in a cool dry place and turned 3 times a day during storing and incubation.I use an automatic turner for storing so I don't forget to turn them.I would store them at 50 degrees for no more then 14 days for best viability.After 15 days the fertility rate drops drastically.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks for the reply.
I didnt think about the roost for them, I had figured on a couple heavy tree branches leaning to the corners.

Like I said, I am completely new to these birds.

will a hen generally sit on her eggs and hatch them herself in captivity like this or will I need to incubate the eggs?

Some hen will set on their own eggs,while others won't.You'll just have to leave a few eggs in the nest and see if she will set on them.Her's a pic of my pheasant pens.I raise ornamentals.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom