1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Our5pack, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Our5pack

Our5pack New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    We have been keeping chickens for a few years & want to try some pheasants this year.

Give me your best advise on pen design for mid-west environment...

What do you like? Dislike? If you could do it again, what would you change?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Your pen size will depend on how many birds you want to house.What species are you interested in?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri

Research, research, research, and just when you think you are done, research some more!! You're doing right thing by asking before getting the birds - so [​IMG] a big thumbs up for that as it is so very rare!!!!!!

As Tony said, it all depends on the species you are interested in. Aviary sizes will vary for the various species. Check out species listing on the pheasant page at gbwf, all species are listed as well lots of links and plenty of book references. Once you've decided on a species, you will find plenty of folks who would be willing to give you advice.

My personal favorites are any of the genus Lophura. Most of the species can tolerate Midwest winters well - the Silver & Swinhoe are excellent choices for a beginner to pheasant aviculture. When I kept these species, I had various sized aviaries, with the smallest being 8x16x6 that housed just a pair (and it was planted with shrubs before adding the birds) of Silver. If you are interested in conservation aviculture, it would be a challenge, but there are breeders with pure Silver races that are quite unique.

I like your question on what I would change.... I loved my pheasants and I hate that I no longer have them. If I could do it over again, and plan to, it will be just myself and son!!!

Dan

4. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

be carefull keeping pheasants is very adictive stronger than pot I try to leave it but here again I have it for the third time. don t just do research on the birds do research on illnesses, avairy recommadations and sanutation programs it is very interessting which go along to keep this birds. good luck[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by