New to Pigs

Meat makes them aggressive.
I used to have a neighbor who raised her pigs on whole turkeys and sweet potatoes. She lived next to a turkey farm. She boiled up whole expired turkeys and sweet potatoes together in a barrel and fed them to the pigs. Sounds yucky but the pigs didn't think so. Her feed costs were minimal. The turkeys were free, and the sweet potatoes were $5.00 a bin. Her pigs were not aggressive. The two sows I had that were aggressive had never been fed meat in their life.

I would suggest you get a book on raising a pig. The Storey Guides are usually helpful and inexpensive. You ought to be able to find one on amazon.

I used to have a neighbor who raised her pigs on whole turkeys and sweet potatoes. She lived next to a turkey farm. She boiled up whole expired turkeys and sweet potatoes together in a barrel and fed them to the pigs. Sounds yucky but the pigs didn't think so. Her feed costs were minimal. The turkeys were free, and the sweet potatoes were $5.00 a bin. Her pigs were not aggressive. The two sows I had that were aggressive had never been fed meat in their life.
Interesting! My grandparents raised pigs for thirty years on slop and boiled potatoes. They never fed meat though. Maybe it depends on the breed?

Pigs, what a cool concept, and the biggest thing is to make sure they get the right food. Space, yes, give them as much as you can, they like a good free range as much as the next chicken or person.

As they get bigger, pigs will need 7 pounds of feed for every 30 pounds they weigh. Some jurisdictions have a list of what it is illegal to feed them (you may have to check what the deal is in your vicinity if you haven't already).

And you're starting out with piglets, so here we go:

A basic, very elementary guide is this one: https://osbornelivestockequipment.com/news/pig-feeding-guide/

But a good overall feeding guide is here, this has a very good list of what to feed and what not to feed them:
https://www.thepigsite.com/articles/how-to-farm-pigs-feeding

As for space, 8 square feet per pig is what they say, for sure. But some suggest much more, even out to 18 square feet.

I wish you the best. Pigs are such sweet creatures, you will fall in love with them over and over as you grow them :) All the best to you!

Similar situation last year in that i inherited a pig without having zero intention of ever getting one. I just get her pig feed at TSC and give her fruits/veggies on occasion. I do want to expand her enclosure and get her a buddy though

Pigs are relatively easy. Just keep them away from other animals when they are in "heat". I feed mine everything. When they are really little it's nice to give them some baby oatmeal with added iron to supplement whatever feed choice you make. I would recommend a pellet feed if you have a potbelly or Juliana. If it's a feeder pig see what the local mill has for feeder pigs. I had a Juliana i lovedd and 2 pot bellies that where completely free range but where aggressive with other animals at times. Now I just have an American guinea hog and a feeder pig.

Back
Top Bottom