New to Poultry Life

I know that babies need to be under heat lamps, i was more concerned of when they are grown and out in our barn...I wasn't thinking of putting a salamander or portable furnace out there, that'd just be a crazy idea lol, I was shooting for the compost idea or another idea that someone else has come up with........

As for using wire as their flooring, i said i'd find something that wouldn't hurt their feet...originally i was thinking of laying down poultry liner as a base and then a sheet of ply wood or something similar to really make sure NOTHING will attack my birds......but I just don't know yet....Looking for other ideas basically.

Thank you for your input
smile.png

Any takers on the oyster shells + drakes???

Where do you live??? Ducks can handle -20 degrees. As for bedding, I bought stall mats from the feed store, they work great! they are good on their feet, and they are easy to wash off!
big_smile.png

As for oyster shells and drakes. I haven't heard of anyone doing that... It might be too much calcium for them, but maybe someone who has done this can help you better!
smile.png

No problem! I usually have people doubting the stall mats, because they aren't always easy to get, but if you can then they are AMAZING! One quick rinse with the hose, and your job is done!
big_smile.png
And like I mentioned earlier, they get fantastic footing on it, and they won't get bumblefoot!
smile.png

Quote:
I figured that you knew about babies and heat lamps but had to put that in there just in case someone else reading didn't know.

I put oyster shell in a different dish and have seen the roosters in that dish (but since I don't know the actual answer to that question I will leave that answer to others)

Stall mats sound like a great option.

Back
Top Bottom