New To Poultry Pigeon Hobby

Warrensflock

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Hi from State of Washington. I am new to hobby of raising chickens, pigeons, any tips for beginner? The birds will be raise for show and egg laying that my choice. Don't have any clue on what breeds yet. I raise rabbits for show, some breed are easy to show, some are diffcult because of their pattern and marking etc. Any tips? Rabbits have pedigree papers, I don't know if chicken does, or most are hybrids? How many to start off with? Do I start off with chicks or adults? Thanks you.

Chickens don't have pedigree papers, and sometimes a variety can be hard to get, but other times it's easy. I know with Dutch rabbits the lines have to be perfect for their markings.

A good number of chickens to start off with would be from 3-5. Make sure you have a coop in progress, or ready for them when they are older.

Chicks are a bit harder to take care of, since they are open to disease, but if the breeders breed chickens that are resistant to disease, you are more likely to have some immune chicks.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined and asked some good questions.
frow.gif

Okay how many hen, rooster? I will have mine for show, pet, egg laying. I want to show rooster, hen. I was thinking one rooster, one hen? Bunch of babies? The babies can raise and be solded. Or do chicken are type to live in group? I really dont' want too many rooster.

WelcometoBYC.gif
. I would suggest two females to a roo if your breeding for show. Breeding in trios is quite common.

Welcome to BYC! Good luck with choosing breeds and getting into showing chickens. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here to answer all your questions.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom