New to qauil, what do you use?

KateHicks

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
I live in Southeast, Texas so our weather is unpredictable and either it is very hot or cold. Me and my husband had 10 quail and now we only have 2? The rest have either died or ate by a snake we found in the cage with them. What I am really wanting to know is what is the best breeds for eggs (to eat)? What is the best breeds for meat? What do you feed them? What do they like (dirst baths, high roosting, room, temperature). Anything helps for the most part. We have raised all kinds of livestock just never chickens or quail. Also, what types of cages/pens do you have yours in? Thank you for any help you give us!

I live in Southeast, Texas so our weather is unpredictable and either it is very hot or cold. Me and my husband had 10 quail and now we only have 2? The rest have either died or ate by a snake we found in the cage with them. What I am really wanting to know is what is the best breeds for eggs (to eat)? What is the best breeds for meat? What do you feed them? What do they like (dirst baths, high roosting, room, temperature). Anything helps for the most part. We have raised all kinds of livestock just never chickens or quail. Also, what types of cages/pens do you have yours in? Thank you for any help you give us!
I find Jumbo Coturnix Quail are the best. We raised these little buggers and their eggs are om nom nomity delicious!!
They hatch in 17 days or so and are breeding giants.We had some with our chickens in their coop and had no ill effects.they didnt kill the quail,and everyones meat was great!!

best bet is not to mix commune them due to some rumors of dieases.we never had any.

We feed them the same feed as the chickens and sometimes wild bird food at a treat.We made our keeps 3'x3'x2' high. rumor has they will jump up extreme amounts of height,but we never had one die of head injuries nor jump to extreme heights.

we also put a old tupperware shallow dish with de dirt and they had a blast.
I want more of them lil buggers but for now,in the winter we are stuck with our 60+ chickens
barnie.gif

Great! I can forsee me smuggling in quail next spring and telling DW "Honey, they just flew over the fence"

gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom