New to quail and genetics, fastest way to true a Celadon line?

PHquail

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
Hello everyone, my first post here.

I just got into quail, and my first hatch group just hit 6 weeks of age, and I have them separated to breed Jumbos, including a Roo that came in at a very nice 311 grams.

As I am excited with the aspects of targeted breeding, I wanted to start a project a little more complicated, and ordered 40 Celadon eggs that should be here this week.
I have not dealt with genetics since high school biology, and I could use some pointers on the fastest way to confirm a 100% Ce/Ce line. I am limited to 3 breeder cages holding 6 quail each for my celadons, and one large coop area that is the general population for my non-breeders.

From what I have read, the key is getting a Ce/Ce male, which seems trickier to confirm because a Ce/Ce hen will obviously lay Ce eggs. Is the fastest way to incubate a roo from a blue egg, breed with confirmed Ce/Ce hens, and see if their offspring are 100% blue layers, then use that Roo for all future breeding?

I'm trying to confirm a Ce/Ce roo without overwhelming my quail capacity and in the shortest amount of time.

I just got into quail, and my first hatch group just hit 6 weeks of age, and I have them separated to breed Jumbos, including a Roo that came in at a very nice 311 grams.

As I am excited with the aspects of targeted breeding, I wanted to start a project a little more complicated, and ordered 40 Celadon eggs that should be here this week.
I have not dealt with genetics since high school biology, and I could use some pointers on the fastest way to confirm a 100% Ce/Ce line. I am limited to 3 breeder cages holding 6 quail each for my celadons, and one large coop area that is the general population for my non-breeders.

From what I have read, the key is getting a Ce/Ce male, which seems trickier to confirm because a Ce/Ce hen will obviously lay Ce eggs. Is the fastest way to incubate a roo from a blue egg, breed with confirmed Ce/Ce hens, and see if their offspring are 100% blue layers, then use that Roo for all future breeding?

I'm trying to confirm a Ce/Ce roo without overwhelming my quail capacity and in the shortest amount of time.
Yes, celadon is a simple recessive gene. You’ll want to breed your hopeful roo with blue laying hens, and get a good amount of offspring to confirm. With mine I consider the Roos pure celadons when they’ve made 40+ blue layers, with 0 normal egg layers.

Pretty much! You just need to hatch out a ton of eggs from that rooster and a homozygous celadon hen. Like Floorcandy said 40+ hens that lay blue (floor candy taught me this for celadons 😂). Then you can also be pretty darn sure those roos you hatched are celadon and can be used as breeders as well. Since you have 3 cages I suggest you use spiral breeding to avoid inbreeding depression. A great resource for all genetic questions and such is the Coturnix colors and genetics Facebook page. SO helpful and has a lot of info and documents that can help. I just started my project to make Italian celadons.

Pretty much! You just need to hatch out a ton of eggs from that rooster and a homozygous celadon hen. Like Floorcandy said 40+ hens that lay blue (floor candy taught me this for celadons 😂). Then you can also be pretty darn sure those roos you hatched are celadon and can be used as breeders as well. Since you have 3 cages I suggest you use spiral breeding to avoid inbreeding depression. A great resource for all genetic questions and such is the Coturnix colors and genetics Facebook page. SO helpful and has a lot of info and documents that can help. I just started my project to make Italian celadons.
Thanks for the advice on spiral breeding once established. I started this as a small hobby for eggs; I feel like I'll be up to my neck in quail by the time I finish my Celadon venture. Hope my family likes quail eggs and meat. Thankfully I just came into a bunch of scrap wood from old fencing, time to get building some more cages it seems.

Back
Top Bottom