New to Quail and New Cage

MDBird

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
I introduced myself in the general area and wanted to post a pic of the cage I just finished building over the weekend with some help from friends and to introduce myself here in the quail section. I am new to quail but have grown to enjoy them over the last month so I decided to build a larger cage to hold more birds. Happy with how it came out for my first try and a big space jump from the rabbit cages I was using. I am still trying to figure out what to do for the feeder and waterer. The feeders I built seem to be working so far and I have some water cups coming. So far it has been pretty smooth sailing, though I have been dealing with a hen that has bumble foot. I have been soaking it and will try to wrap it up better to heal quicker. Thank you for all the great information you share!

Attachments

• 20200803_102729.jpg
    20200803_102729.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200803_102744.jpg
    20200803_102744.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200731_181529.jpg
    20200731_181529.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 31
You might want to give them some dirt boxes. That will help prevent bumblefoot and they love the dirt baths.

They would also be happier with some places to hide.

I have one concern with your cages. They look high enough for them to break their necks when they flush.

You might want to give them some dirt boxes. That will help prevent bumblefoot and they love the dirt baths.

They would also be happier with some places to hide.

I have one concern with your cages. They look high enough for them to break their necks when they flush.

Thank you for taking a look, I have added sand boxes in all of the cages now full time. Also when I was putting the cage together I didn't measure quite right which lead to the different heights. The tallest cage including the rabbit ones are at 18 in so I know I am on the limit for the height. I was hoping to be closer to 12, but next build.

For adding some hiding spots do you have a recommendations as far as what to use. Would cutting a hole in a box and adding it work? Also I had straw and some evergreen branches in there originally, then the bumble foot appeared so I took it out. Should I add some straw to make it softer again you think?

Thank you for taking a look, I have added sand boxes in all of the cages now full time. Also when I was putting the cage together I didn't measure quite right which lead to the different heights. The tallest cage including the rabbit ones are at 18 in so I know I am on the limit for the height. I was hoping to be closer to 12, but next build.

For adding some hiding spots do you have a recommendations as far as what to use. Would cutting a hole in a box and adding it work? Also I had straw and some evergreen branches in there originally, then the bumble foot appeared so I took it out. Should I add some straw to make it softer again you think?
Overturned boxes with a couple of entry/exit holes work great. They like plants too, but can be hard on them. Fake plants work if you don't want to sacrifice some real ones.

Back
Top Bottom