New to quail...can you keep a small flock of chickens and quail together?

Can you house chickens and quail together in small quantities? (30 of each or less)

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes, in smaller flocks of 30 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes in larger flocks also

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, never, always in pens

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

CoensChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Alpha, WI
Hi there, I am new to quail and looking at hatching out my first batch soon. I know they are quite a bit smaller than chickens but do you have to have a pen for them or can they possibly be kept with my existing chickens? I would have quite a few so they wouldnt be too outnumbered by them. I love to have my chickens free range, they are so happy that way.
I have read that quail are not as smart, so would they be able to learn after watching the chickens? I do have a small fenced off section for when my chickens were very young and first out there but I do not want to necessarily close it off and make my chickens have to fly out to free range.
Any advice would be awesome as I want to learn as much as possible before they arrive :)
Thanks!!

Hi there, I am new to quail and looking at hatching out my first batch soon. I know they are quite a bit smaller than chickens but do you have to have a pen for them or can they possibly be kept with my existing chickens? I would have quite a few so they wouldnt be too outnumbered by them. I love to have my chickens free range, they are so happy that way.
I have read that quail are not as smart, so would they be able to learn after watching the chickens? I do have a small fenced off section for when my chickens were very young and first out there but I do not want to necessarily close it off and make my chickens have to fly out to free range.
Any advice would be awesome as I want to learn as much as possible before they arrive :)
Thanks!!
Most people say no because chickens have diseases they are resilient to while quails are catch them and die

And those diseases can remain residual in the soil for a year or more, passing to the quail when they play in it.

Back
Top Bottom